Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Adams, Arthur (Aquilent)" <Ar...@va.gov> on 2007/07/25 11:31:39 UTC

Transfers from one repository to another

We are considering migrating the project I work on from multiple
SubVersion repositories to one unified repository.

We'd like to see that our files keep their svn history in the new
repository, but, as far as I can tell, that's not possible. (By
"history", I mean both the checkin comments and the diffs. In other
words, I want to have everything I had in the old individual
repositories in the new unified one.)

I've looked at svnsync, but that seems to be designed to mirror a one
repository in another. It doesn't seem to allow copying multiple
repositories into one.

My research seems to indicate this isn't possible. Is there a way to do
this?

Failing that, if we wanted to move to a unified repository, what would
be the best way? My thought is to keep the old ones around, with write
permissions locked down tight, so we can go there to access the history,
at least.

Re: Transfers from one repository to another

Posted by Nicolai Scheer <sc...@planetavent.de>.
Hi!

Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> On 7/25/07, Adams, Arthur (Aquilent) <Ar...@va.gov> wrote:
>> We are considering migrating the project I work on from multiple
>> SubVersion repositories to one unified repository.
>
>> We'd like to see that our files keep their svn history in the new
>> repository, but, as far as I can tell, that's not possible. (By
>> "history", I mean both the checkin comments and the diffs. In other
>> words, I want to have everything I had in the old individual
>> repositories in the new unified one.)
>
> You can 'svnadmin dump' the contents of each of the repositories.
> Then, you can load each of the dumps into one newly created
> repository. You'll have all projects in the same repository; you'll be
> interested in the --parent-path option of 'svnadmin load'.

And of course you will have to be careful with legacy log comments à la
"merged rev 1234 - 1239 of branches/path/ to the trunk" since the
projects in the new *big* repo will share their revision numbers.

bye,

Nico

Re: Transfers from one repository to another

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 7/25/07, Adams, Arthur (Aquilent) <Ar...@va.gov> wrote:
> We are considering migrating the project I work on from multiple
> SubVersion repositories to one unified repository.

> We'd like to see that our files keep their svn history in the new
> repository, but, as far as I can tell, that's not possible. (By
> "history", I mean both the checkin comments and the diffs. In other
> words, I want to have everything I had in the old individual
> repositories in the new unified one.)

You can 'svnadmin dump' the contents of each of the repositories.
Then, you can load each of the dumps into one newly created
repository. You'll have all projects in the same repository; you'll be
interested in the --parent-path option of 'svnadmin load'.

HTH,

Erik.

RE: Transfers from one repository to another

Posted by Jason Winnebeck <jp...@rit.edu>.