Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Andrew Savory <as...@apache.org> on 2008/06/04 17:09:30 UTC

Solr Maven Artifacts

Hi,

I see from http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-19 that some tentative
work has been done on mavenisation of solr, and from
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-586 that discussion of publishing
maven artifacts ... is it possible to push solr 1.2 maven artifacts out to
the repo?

Andrew.
--
asavory@apache.org / contact@andrewsavory.com
http://www.andrewsavory.com/

Re: Solr Maven Artifacts

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1. This would also be very useful for using SolrJ in our applications.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Solr Maven Artifacts

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
:
: If people agree that publishing maven artifacts is a good idea, I'll happily
: update http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToRelease to point to the relevant
: information too.

automating as much as possible through build.xml targets would definitely
help -- i would attach such a patch to SOLR-586, ideally modeled after the
way lucene-java does it so there is some "methodology overlap"

I'm not sure that i'm really comfortable having 1.2 jars pushed out at
this point -- primarily since the POM files wouldn't be included in the
source releasees ... it would make it somewhat of a rewriting of history.

...but i won't object if another committer wants to do this.

-Hoss

Re: Solr Maven Artifacts

Posted by Mike Klaas <mi...@gmail.com>.
As someone who is completely ignorant (and admittedly, somewhat
willfully so) of the java enterprise world, I was hoping that someone
more savvy in the ways of maven would step in here.  It is even
unclear to me what having the project in a Maven repository means for
people, or why it would be convenient.

Based on the link you sent, it seems that a few things are necessary
for this to proceed, like a maven "project descriptor" for Solr (or is
that already done?).

That said, I'm +1 on steps to better propagate Solr, even if I don't
think that I am the best person to effectuate those steps.

-Mike

Re: Solr Maven Artifacts

Posted by Andrew Savory <as...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Solr Maven Artifacts

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrew,

I'm about to start making changes to the build.xml for SOLR-563 (contrib
area). I already gave a first cut of the patch which has the contrib project
mimicing the standard Maven directory structure, but no maven poms though.
Is there some way we can collaborate? We sure don't want to end up with two
patches on the same files entirely incompatible with each other. Let me know
what you think.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Andrew Savory <as...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 2008/6/11 Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>:
>
> > I'm willing to do this, but what about the .pom file?
> >
> > Is adding the .jar without a .pom useful?  The .pom in SOLR-586 is
> > definitely incomplete:
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12383027/solrj.pom.xml
> >
> > for 1.3, we should get the ant task to make the maven artifact -- similar
> > to how it is done for java-lucene.
>

> I'll have a go at tidying it up and sorting out the pom etc (sorry, missed
> that first time round), hopefully with something useful before the end of
> the week. It'd be great if you could do the honours after that, Ryan!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew.
> --
> asavory@apache.org / contact@andrewsavory.com
> http://www.andrewsavory.com/

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Solr Maven Artifacts

Posted by Andrew Savory <as...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Solr Maven Artifacts

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 5, 2008, at 7:41 AM, Andrew Savory wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2008/6/4 Andrew Savory <as...@apache.org>:
>
>> I see from http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-19 that some
>> tentative work has been done on mavenisation of solr, and from
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-586 that discussion of
>> publishing maven artifacts ... is it possible to push solr 1.2 maven
>> artifacts out to the repo?
>

> More specifically, would someone with sufficient privileges (Yonik?)
> be
> willing to do the following (from [1]):

I'm willing to do this, but what about the .pom file?

Is adding the .jar without a .pom useful?  The .pom in SOLR-586 is
definitely incomplete:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12383027/solrj.pom.xml

for 1.3, we should get the ant task to make the maven artifact --
similar to how it is done for java-lucene.

ryan

Re: Solr Maven Artifacts

Posted by Andrew Savory <as...@apache.org>.
Hi,