Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Martin Kuhn <ma...@gmx.at> on 2006/11/03 19:32:08 UTC

Re: status of tiles support

Hi,

we use Tiles with MyFaces 1.1.4 and a Tomahawk  1.1.5 snapshot without
problems.

Here some notes of my point of view (as I already stated in the ajax4jsf
mailing list because of Tiles problems)

The reason why we selected Tiles was, that when we started with JSF, there
was no templating framework available (for our first app we used Sitemesh
but it was not really compatible with JSF and so we changed to Tiles  after
a while). And at this time the facelets framework was not available (at
least for production usage)

In the templating context I need nothing more than Tiles provides.
When we started with the MyFaces-Tiles solution I had not the feeling that
it is an "exotic" solution.

Of course, I noticed that a hype about facelets arose and I tried it out.
But in my opinion the benefits of facelets is not worth to change from Tiles
to facelets except if such a change would be unproblematic.

On the contrary, I'm afraid that a change to facelets would brings us many
problems when we have to port existing applications to facelets (I read
several posts on the myfaces list but I've no real experience with larger
applications about this).

Regards,
Martin