Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Beyer,Nathan" <NB...@CERNER.COM> on 2006/12/27 22:43:46 UTC

[m2] Version ranges and qualifiers

Given a set of versions for a JAR in a repo (1.0, 1.2, 2.0-alpha-1) and
a version range of [1, 2), should version 2.0-alpha-1 be picked? This
seems to be the state of affairs for Maven 2.0.4.

I can understand why the algorithm is picking this, since 2.0-alpha-1 is
strictly less than 2, but this seems rather undesirable, at least to me.
Does anyone else see this as incorrect? If this is correct, is there any
version range syntax to avoid this? How would I express anything with a
major version of 1 starting at 1.0?

-Nathan

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This message and any included attachments
are from Cerner Corporation and are intended only for the
addressee. The information contained in this message is
confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information
under international, federal, or state securities laws.
Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of
such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and
notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call
Cerner's corporate offices in Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A at (+1)
(816)221-1024. -------------------------------------------

Re: [m2] Version ranges and qualifiers

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@mxtelecom.com>.
franz see wrote:
> Good day to you, Beyer,
>
> Though I haven't experimented on it myself, you may want to play with the
> <classifier /> tag of the dependency elment ( see [1] ).

They are easily confusable, but a classifiers and qualifiers have little
to do with each other.

Max.

Re: [m2] Version ranges and qualifiers

Posted by franz see <fr...@gmail.com>.
Good day to you, Beyer,

Though I haven't experimented on it myself, you may want to play with the
<classifier /> tag of the dependency elment ( see [1] ).

Cheers,
Franz

[1]
http://maven.apache.org/ref/2.0.4/maven-model/maven.html#class_dependency

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@mxtelecom.com>.
Beyer,Nathan wrote:
> Given a set of versions for a JAR in a repo (1.0, 1.2, 2.0-alpha-1) and
> a version range of [1, 2), should version 2.0-alpha-1 be picked? This
> seems to be the state of affairs for Maven 2.0.4.
>
> I can understand why the algorithm is picking this, since 2.0-alpha-1 is
> strictly less than 2, but this seems rather undesirable, at least to me.
> Does anyone else see this as incorrect? If this is correct, is there any
> version range syntax to avoid this? How would I express anything with a
> major version of 1 starting at 1.0?

TTBOMK, you cannot.

The nearest you can get is: [1,2-@)

"@" is a very "low" qualifier, probably lower than any qualifier anyone
will actually use. However, it is a quirk of the Maven versioning system
that there is no such thing as a "lowest" qualifier@ given any
qualifier, you can always construct one which is "lower" simply by
appending any character to it.

Max.