Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Boris Folgmann <bo...@folgmann.de> on 2002/12/11 14:30:03 UTC

Re: Need help using manager of tomcat

Sherif D Mohamad wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I successfully installed tomcat standalone on rehat linux 7.3 and seems
> working ok, I am trying to use the manager to I can make changes to sites
> without restarting server
>
> When I try the command :
> http://www.myserver.com/manager/deploy?path=/firsttest
> I have the following error
> FAIL - Unknown command /deploy
>
> Although docs says it should respond with : OK - Deployed application at
> context path /firsttest

For my local tomcat installation I use the install command for deploying
WAR files:

http://www.myserver.com:8080/manager/install?path=/firsttest&war=jar:file:/home/yourname/firsttest.war!/

And it works. IIRC I had also problems with deploy.

There's also this page:
http://www.myserver.com:8080/manager/html/list

The list of installed apps is nice, but I never managed to use the install
form provided on this page. Does anybody know what has to be entered in the
text fields?

--
Dipl.-Inf. Boris Folgmann   mailto:boris@folgmann.de
Folgmann IT-Consulting      http://www.folgmann.de

Re: Need help using manager of tomcat

Posted by Jon Eaves <jo...@eaves.org>.
Boris Folgmann wrote:
> Jon Eaves wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>Provided my memory serves me correctly, you can't use the manager
>>application to deploy.
>

> If you're right, the documentation should be changed.

Well, maybe.  Remember the manager application is talking about
the /manager web application and not only the /manager/html
functionality. (And I was quite sloppy with my response above,
as I should have said "Manager Application HTML Interface")
Sorry for adding to the confusion.

It probably needs further highlighting on the actual web
application to assist people in not confusing themselves. ;-)

> But what about the text input fields on /manager/html/list?
> Is it simply unfinished? The form action missing?

The deploy task takes a war file and places that in a "special
place" using the HTTP PUT. It's simply not possible from
a web page.

This is all described quite well in the documentation:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/manager-howto.html

Have a look in the section "Deploy a New Application" and
read the big "NOTE:" section.

Cheers,
	-- jon

--
Jon Eaves <jo...@eaves.org>
http://www.eaves.org/jon/

Re: Need help using manager of tomcat

Posted by Boris Folgmann <bo...@folgmann.de>.

Posted by Jon Eaves <jo...@eaves.org>.
Hi all,

Provided my memory serves me correctly, you can't use the manager
application to deploy.

Deploy requires the use of POST, and the ant task is the only way
to do that.

Use install instead, or the ant deploy task, or copy a context.xml
into the webapps dir, or package up a war and put it into webapps.

So many options, so little time....

Cheers,
	-- jon

--