Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by User for SpamAssassin Mail List <sp...@pcez.com> on 2007/07/30 22:30:40 UTC

pyzor problem.

Hello,

I've noticed a big jump in spam here and looking through logs it looks
like my system is not getting pyzor to respond.

When I do a "spamassassin --lint -D"

I show:

debug: Pyzor is available: /usr/bin/pyzor
debug: Pyzor: got response: 66.250.40.33:24441  TimeoutError:
debug: Pyzor: couldn't grok response "66.250.40.33:24441        TimeoutError: "

Has something changed with pyzor as of late ?

Anyone have any clues?

Thanks,

Ken

RE: pyzor problem.

Posted by Rob Sterenborg <R....@netsourcing.nl>.
Rose, Bobby wrote:
> I thought that was the purpose of the pyzor discover command?  Who
> maintains 82.94.255.100 as it doesn't get listed with pyzor discover.

The alternative server aparently never got added to the discovery
service so the discover command will reset the contents to the original
server.

I completely disabled Pyzor because even when the alternative server is
used, we experience too much delay from it. Razor and DCC are much
faster here and scoring is good enough already.

Rob

RE: pyzor problem.

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.

http://marc.info/?l=spamassassin-users&m=117911370318308

http://liveearth.msn.com

RE: pyzor problem.

Posted by "Rose, Bobby" <br...@med.wayne.edu>.
I thought that was the purpose of the pyzor discover command?  Who
maintains 82.94.255.100 as it doesn't get listed with pyzor discover.

> >We noticed pyzor latency/timeouts last week and had to disable it.
> >
> >User for SpamAssassin Mail List wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've noticed a big jump in spam here and looking through logs it
> > > looks like my system is not getting pyzor to respond.
> > >
> > > When I do a "spamassassin --lint -D"
> > >
> > > I show:
> > >
> > > debug: Pyzor is available: /usr/bin/pyzor
> > > debug: Pyzor: got response: 66.250.40.33:24441  TimeoutError:
> > > debug: Pyzor: couldn't grok response "66.250.40.33:24441
> >TimeoutError: "
> > >

> > > Has something changed with pyzor as of late ?
> > >
> > > Anyone have any clues?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Ken
> > >

> >--
> >Joel Nimety
>
> I think the main server has been overloaded for a couple years now.
> Find .../.pyzor/servers file and replace 66.250.40.33:24441 with
> 82.94.255.100:24441
>
> It should help.
>
> Gary V

Gary,

That server "82.94.255.100:24441" solved the problem. The next problem
was how to change that IP address in the ~/.pyzor/servers files for all
the customers. So I put together a script to do just that. Here is that
script in case others want to do the same thing.

Thanks,

Ken

You must put in a servers file in the /etc/skel/.pyzor directory with
82.94.255.100:24441 in the servers file.

Script follows: ------------------------------------------------

#! /bin/sh
#
#    This script changes the pyzor server in each users home directory
#    the server that is listed in /etc/skel/.pyzor/servers .
#    This became a problem when the primary server stopped
#    responding. - knr - 7-07
#
#
#

USERNAME=""
cd /home

for USERNAME in `ls -d *`;
  do
        if [ -d /home/${USERNAME}/.pyzor ]; then
             if [ -f /home/${USERNAME}/.pyzor/servers ]; then
                cp /etc/skel/.pyzor/servers
/home/${USERNAME}/.pyzor/servers;
                chown ${USERNAME}:users
/home/${USERNAME}/.pyzor/servers;
             fi
        fi
  done

Re: pyzor problem.

Posted by User for SpamAssassin Mail List <sp...@pcez.com>.

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Gary V wrote:

> >We noticed pyzor latency/timeouts last week and had to disable it.
> >
> >User for SpamAssassin Mail List wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've noticed a big jump in spam here and looking through logs it looks
> > > like my system is not getting pyzor to respond.
> > >
> > > When I do a "spamassassin --lint -D"
> > >
> > > I show:
> > >
> > > debug: Pyzor is available: /usr/bin/pyzor
> > > debug: Pyzor: got response: 66.250.40.33:24441  TimeoutError:
> > > debug: Pyzor: couldn't grok response "66.250.40.33:24441
> >TimeoutError: "
> > >

> > > Has something changed with pyzor as of late ?
> > >
> > > Anyone have any clues?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Ken
> > >

> >--
> >Joel Nimety
>
> I think the main server has been overloaded for a couple years now. Find
> .../.pyzor/servers file and replace 66.250.40.33:24441 with
> 82.94.255.100:24441
>
> It should help.
>
> Gary V

Gary,

That server "82.94.255.100:24441" solved the problem. The next problem was
how to change that IP address in the ~/.pyzor/servers files for all the
customers. So I put together a script to do just that. Here is that script
in case others want to do the same thing.

Thanks,

Ken

You must put in a servers file in the /etc/skel/.pyzor directory with
82.94.255.100:24441 in the servers file.

Script follows: ------------------------------------------------

#! /bin/sh
#
#    This script changes the pyzor server in each users home directory to
#    the server that is listed in /etc/skel/.pyzor/servers .
#    This became a problem when the primary server stopped
#    responding. - knr - 7-07
#
#
#

USERNAME=""
cd /home

for USERNAME in `ls -d *`;
  do
        if [ -d /home/${USERNAME}/.pyzor ]; then
             if [ -f /home/${USERNAME}/.pyzor/servers ]; then
                cp /etc/skel/.pyzor/servers /home/${USERNAME}/.pyzor/servers;
                chown ${USERNAME}:users /home/${USERNAME}/.pyzor/servers;
             fi
        fi
  done

Re: pyzor problem.

Posted by Gary V <mr...@hotmail.com>.

http://newlivehotmail.com

Re: pyzor problem.

Posted by Joel Nimety <jn...@perimeterusa.com>.

--
Joel Nimety
Perimeter eSecurity

--
 The sender of this email subscribes to Perimeter eSecurity's email
 anti-virus service. This email has been scanned for malicious code and is

 Thanks