Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Johnson, Robert F" <ro...@intel.com> on 2004/11/30 20:12:39 UTC

ok_locales and ok_language purpose

What is the purpose of the ok_languages and ok_locales configurations?

I read the POD doc but I am still a bit confused.  For example, if
Japanese was included in either ok_locales or ok_languages, does that
mean that they would be evaluated for spam or ignored?  Is it possible
to use either of these configuration setting to tell Spam Assassin to
ignore Japanese email (to avoid any false positive risk)?

Re: ok_locales and ok_language purpose

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 02:12 PM 11/30/2004, Johnson, Robert F wrote:
>What is the purpose of the ok_languages and ok_locales configurations?
>
>I read the POD doc but I am still a bit confused.  For example, if
>Japanese was included in either ok_locales or ok_languages, does that
>mean that they would be evaluated for spam or ignored?  Is it possible
>to use either of these configuration setting to tell Spam Assassin to
>ignore Japanese email (to avoid any false positive risk)?

ok_languages and ok_locales don't prevent messages from being scanned. Both
default to "everything is OK". If you set them, you use them to basically
declare everything that is not in the list is likely to be spam.

So if a message is written in a language which is not in the ok_languages
list, it gets an increased score by triggering the  UNWANTED_LANGUAGE_BODY
rule.

If a character set of a message comes from a locality not in on_localles,
it gets an increase score by triggering the CHARSET_FARAWAY rule.

In the default configuration, neither of these rules fires on anything.