Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mori Bellamy <mb...@apple.com> on 2008/07/11 22:35:35 UTC

question on tasktracker status

hey all,
what dictates the "% complete" bars for maptasks and reduce tasks? i
ask because, for one of my map jobs, the tasks hang at 0% for a long
time until they jump to 100%.

thanks!

Re: question on tasktracker status

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@yahoo-inc.com>.
On Jul 11, 2008, at 1:35 PM, Mori Bellamy wrote:

> hey all,
> what dictates the "% complete" bars for maptasks and reduce tasks?
> i ask because, for one of my map jobs, the tasks hang at 0% for a
> long time until they jump to 100%.

Maps -> amount of input consumed (this is the normal case when you
are processing data on HDFS)
Reduces -> Shuffle is 0-33% (shuffle is the phase where you copy
output of the maps), Merge is 33-66% (here sorted map-outputs are
being merged), rest is reduce (where user's Reducer.reduce methods
are being invoked).

Arun