Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bill Hatter <bh...@apohiolaw.com> on 2002/02/11 17:39:46 UTC

Tracking Users and Logins

Hello,

We are attempting a Load Balancing Solution for our web-site with an
Apache Front-End. When the user requests access to our site, s/he is
prompted for a login. The username and password are verified against a
MySQL database. If successful, the user is granted access to the site.
Ok, all standard so far.

Here is where we run into trouble. Some of the user's are on a trial
subscription basis. However, I cannot get Apache to recognize standard
SQL statements for validating logins. Also, I need to keep track of who
is logged in, because we only allow one user to login per account, so we
lock out concurrency. I've been doing this so far on IIS with a program
called Authentix from http://www.flicks.com <http://www.flicks.com/>
but it doesn't provide all the functionality we want.

Has anyone dealt with this issue, or know of a program, or a way to fix
these problems?

Bill Hatter
Web/Network Administrator
Anderson Publishing Company
Cincinnati, OH
513 562.8119

Re: Transfer Encoding header problem

Posted by Selva <se...@india.hp.com>.

Joshua Slive wrote:

> On Tue, 28 May 2002, Selva wrote:
>
> > Yes, I am using the same version of Apache that is 1.3.19. The CGI
> > scripts are different. The only difference is that the server that
> > gives the Transfer-Encoding is built with mod_ssl and mod_jk. Will
> > this make any difference in the response header?
>
> Well, many mod_ssl configs use BrowserMatch directives that include things
> like "downgrade-1.0" and "nokeepalive".  These could obviously prevent
> Apache from using chunked encoding.
>
> But you haven't answered my other questions, which is: why do you care.

I missed this question in my previous mail. Let me explain the problem:

I have a java program (servlet) that copies all the request headers back in to
response object. When I access this java program through Netscape iPlanet web
server, using HTTP\1.1, everything works fine. I get the Transfer-Encoding
header in the response. But, when I access the same program through Apache
1.3.19, using HTTP\1.1, I get two Transfer-Encoding headers in the response!
So, I had modified the java program, not to copy all the request headers in to
response. Now, everything works fine. In the case of getting two
Transfer-Encoding headers in response, I am wondering, whether Apache puts the
Transfer-Encoding header in to the response or what exactly was happening?

So, I tried this with different Apache servers and the result was first mail.

Now, I would like to know, what is the default behavior of Apache with respect
to HTTP\1.1 protocol and Transfer-Encoding header in the response?

Thanks in advance,
Selva

Re: Transfer Encoding header problem

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 28 May 2002, Selva wrote:

> Yes, I am using the same version of Apache that is 1.3.19. The CGI
> scripts are different. The only difference is that the server that
> gives the Transfer-Encoding is built with mod_ssl and mod_jk. Will
> this make any difference in the response header?

Well, many mod_ssl configs use BrowserMatch directives that include things
like "downgrade-1.0" and "nokeepalive".  These could obviously prevent
Apache from using chunked encoding.

But you haven't answered my other questions, which is: why do you care.
It is easier to help people when they give tell you the true problem,
rather than just discussing a symptom.

Joshua.

Re: Transfer Encoding header problem

Posted by Selva <se...@india.hp.com>.
Please see my comments inline.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 28 May 2002, Selva wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have problems with Transfer-Encoding header with Apache 1.3.x.
>
> When I access a CGI through an Apache web server using HTTP 1.1
> protocol, I get the Transfer-Encoding header in the response.
> But, when I access the same CGI placed with another installation of
> Apache on another machine, I am not getting the Transfer-Encoding header
> in the response.
>
> My basic doubt is ...
>
> Do I need to enable any of Apache directives to get the
> Transfer-Encoding (chunked) put in to the response by the Apache web
> server?

No.  It is all automatic.

Are you sure that both servers are running exactly the same version of
apache and you are using exactly the same client and cgi script?

Why do you care about Transfer-Encoding?  Apache will make the choice for
you based on protocol version/etc.  The 2.0 version is more agressive
about using chunked encoding in some cases.

Joshua.

Transfer Encoding header problem

Posted by Selva <se...@india.hp.com>.
Hi,

I have problems with Transfer-Encoding header with Apache 1.3.x.

When I access a CGI through an Apache web server using HTTP 1.1
protocol, I get the Transfer-Encoding header in the response.
But, when I access the same CGI placed with another installation of
Apache on another machine, I am not getting the Transfer-Encoding header
in the response.

My basic doubt is ...

Do I need to enable any of Apache directives to get the
Transfer-Encoding (chunked) put in to the response by the Apache web
server?
If so, which directive/module needs to be enabled. What is the default
status of this Transfer-Encoding header with Apache response in the HTTP
1.1 context?

Thanks in advance,
Selva