Posted to mirrors@apache.org by jason andrade <ja...@dstc.edu.au> on 2001/03/14 02:34:17 UTC

Re: [qmirror] Useless mirroring of www.apache.org ?

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Gorm Jorgensen wrote:

> Hi Folks.
>
> Am I the only one who thinks that mirroring www.apache.org is useless ?
> Why do you ask ?

[...]

this was changed a long time ago and has been brought up many times.  i'm
not sure what the problems are with the apache group at the moment.  i
think it's just going through a patch (sorry, couldn't resist) where people
are too busy, working on the software, moving house (hi piers! :-) and the
mirroring coordination has fallen over a bit.  ever since the split of
apache into multiple projects, it's been hard to get mirroring stuff happening.

i personally don't think the apache group plan to throw the mirroring concept
away, but at the moment it's  not going anywhere (except for people like
andrew kenna who are starting to try to do stuff)

i personally use a perl script to rewrite chunks of the apache mirror now
as i gave up (around 6 months ago ?) on getting it fixed at the master end.

it's relatively simple, but as with most things, you have to monitor it
carefully in case anything changes.

here are my local additions to make your mirror relevant to your users:

#
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's/httpd.apache.org\//apache.planetmirror.com\/httpd.html/g' /ftp/pub/apache/index.html
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's/php.apache.org\//php.planetmirror.com\//g' /ftp/pub/apache/index.html
#
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's/httpd.apache.org/apache.planetmirror.com/g' /ftp/pub/apache/dist/Announcement.html
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's/httpd.apache.org/apache.planetmirror.com/g' /ftp/pub/apache/dist/Announcement2.html
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's/www.apache.org\//apache.planetmirror.com\//g' /ftp/pub/apache/dist/404.html
#

regards,

-jason

P.S  my views are just my own and this is not meant to be any kind of reflection
     on the apache group.  i am totally ignorant of how things work internally
     for them and am just a downstream mirror in australia..

Re: [qmirror] Useless mirroring of www.apache.org ?

Posted by Gorm Jorgensen <Go...@Area51.DK>.
> from what i can tell your script does..
>
> you mirror apache.
> you then get the httpd.html file
> you replace the existing index.html with this file
> you change pointers in this file to your local site.
>

> perhaps i misunderstood.. why not skip stpes 2 and 3 - just change pointers
> in the index file apache supply ?

The problem in the index file apache supply is that is is the Apache Foundation
homepage, and not the Apache server homepage.

My problem is that the httpd.html that apache used to supply is gone, what I do
is regenerating that file, and use it for my index.html

But you are right in that I could get the httpd.html and change the original
index.html to point locally.

--
Gorm Jorgensen - UB++++
http://www.area51.dk/

Re: [qmirror] Useless mirroring of www.apache.org ?

Posted by jason andrade <ja...@dstc.edu.au>.
On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Gorm Jorgensen wrote:

> > i'm not sure why you're doing something with multiple steps there.
> >
> > when you mirror apache, you are getting essentially the correct files, why
> > not just modify the pointers ?
> >
> The problem is that the current design of the HTML does not use files from
> the mirror, but links to httpd.apache.org. And therefor the load is put on
> one single server instead of the mirror server.

which is why you can just modify the urls on the front page to point to your
local mirror, rather than go through all of that to redownload a copy of
a file you already have, to replace the front page..

Posted by Gorm Jorgensen <Go...@Area51.DK>.

Posted by jason andrade <ja...@dstc.edu.au>.

Posted by Gorm Jorgensen <Go...@Area51.DK>.

Posted by Sahil Gupta - NET4U <sa...@net4u.co.nz>.
I just have a "cron job" that updates my Apache Server every Sunday night.

> i personally use a perl script to rewrite chunks of the apache mirror now
> as i gave up (around 6 months ago ?) on getting it fixed at the master
end.

> it's relatively simple, but as with most things, you have to monitor it
> carefully in case anything changes.
>
> here are my local additions to make your mirror relevant to your users:
>
> /usr/bin/perl -pi -e
's/httpd.apache.org\//apache.planetmirror.com\/httpd.html/g'
/ftp/pub/apache/index.html

I was planning to do the same thing, but it would be better if the Apache
team sorted it out.

But thanks for the tip, will use it :)

--
Gorm Jorgensen - UB++++