Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com> on 2009/06/25 13:18:31 UTC

lucene releases vs trunk

For the next release cycle (presumably 1.5?) I think we should really
try to stick to released versions of Lucene, and not use dev/trunk
versions.
Early in Solr's lifetime, Lucene trunk was more stable (APIs changed
little, even on non-released versions), and Lucene releases were few
and far between.
Today, the pace of change in Lucene has quickened, and Lucene APIs are
much more in flux until a release is made.  It's also now harder to
support a Lucene dev release given the growth in complexity
(particularly for indexing code).  Releases are made more often too,
making using released versions more practical.
Many of our users dislike our use of dev versions of Lucene too.

And yes, 1.4 isn't out the door yet - but people often tend to hit the
ground running on the next release.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: lucene releases vs trunk

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Chris
Hostetter<ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
> : This proposal was just for the next (1.5?) release cycle though.
> : I agree though - there is rapid movement in Lucene these days, and things can
> : be pulled back or altered fairly easily during trunk dev. Sometimes even index
> : format changing issues - which can be a real pain (having suffered that first
> : hand in the past). The closer we can stay to actual Lucene releases in
> : general, the better I think.
>
> I suggest we not worry about it too much until the situation arrises.

I'm calling attention to it because I don't believe the move to
2.9-dev was ever discussed on solr-dev.
AFAIK it was committed as part of SOLR-805... something I missed, and
I doubt I'm the only one.

The default should be to use released Lucene versions, and we should
reluctantly move off of that.

> Once upon a time the decision to bump the lucene-java rev in Solr was
> drien largely based on wether we people that that version was had useful
> additions *and* was relatively "solid".  My impression more recently is
> that people have been bumping the rev primarily with the
> features/improvements in mind, and less consideration of the stability --
> probably due to the (completely valid) assumption that solr trunk doesn't
> *need* to be any more stable then the lucene-java trunk, so we might as
> well go ahead and rev and help shake things out.

Right - if we're relatively sure that a Lucene release is imminent
(and will happen before a Solr release), it's not such a bad idea to
upgrade.

Re: lucene releases vs trunk

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
[...]

If we go back in hindsight with and imagine that Solr might have be
released at any given moment, then some of those lucene-java revs would
probably seem less prudent then others.

Moving forward we should just proceed the same way: don't rev any Solr
deps (lucene-java or otherwise) unless you're confident enough in the new
version that you'd be ready to vote for a release that includes it.

If lucene-java maintains a really heavy state of churn on the trunk, then
nightlies probably aren't going to meet that criteria for us moving
forward -- but if, at some point in future, someone wants to bump the rev
to a nightly that is exactly the same as lucene-java 3.2.3 plus one new
TokenFilter they want to write a Factory for ... i really don't see that
as being less stable then the "stable" 3.2.3 version.

Common sense makes the most sense.

-Hoss

Re: lucene releases vs trunk

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
This proposal was just for the next (1.5?) release cycle though.

Lucene 2.9 is going to beat Solr 1.4 in any case I think, so it would
seem to make sense to go with it, and so this won't be an issue for this
release. For 1.5, we can just run as normal, and I guess, and plan to
release a bit after the next version of Lucene releases. Then take it a
release at a time based on how things go in Lucene land?

--
- Mark

Re: lucene releases vs trunk

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Re: lucene releases vs trunk

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@netflix.com>.
This is an excellent idea.

When I find a problem and want to research the Lucene bugs that might
describe it, that is really hard with a trunk build. It's easy with a
release build.

wunder