Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Claude Montpetit [Nertec]" <cm...@nertec.com> on 2004/11/22 16:53:21 UTC

Deleting the latest 2 revisions

I'd like to resurrect all the top folders of our repository. They were
mistakenly deleted by a user.

The deletion was done in 2 commits. They are the last commits in the
repository.

I know about reverse merge and copy to restore deleted files or
directories, but I wonder if there is another way. I am afraid that
undoing the delete using these will cause the repository size to triple,
if not more (there were many branches).

So I have 2.5 questions:

1- I know that Subversion only stores deltas but how does it deal with
deletion like this? Will it increase my repository size considerably?

2- Also, if someone had a branch checked out with local changes, will
the the link back to the restored folder be problematic?

Thanks

--
Claude Montpetit
Nertec

Re: Deleting the latest 2 revisions

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Claude Montpetit [Nertec]" <cm...@nertec.com> writes:
> I know about reverse merge and copy to restore deleted files or
> directories, but I wonder if there is another way. I am afraid that
> undoing the delete using these will cause the repository size to
> triple, if not more (there were many branches).

Do 'svn cp -rOLD_REV URL URL'.

> So I have 2.5 questions:
>
> 1- I know that Subversion only stores deltas but how does it deal with
> deletion like this? Will it increase my repository size considerably?

No, it will increase it by almost nothing.

> 2- Also, if someone had a branch checked out with local changes, will
> the the link back to the restored folder be problematic?

Probably not, but let us know.

-K

Re: Deleting the latest 2 revisions

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Claude Montpetit [Nertec] wrote:
> I'd like to resurrect all the top folders of our repository. They were
> mistakenly deleted by a user.
>
> The deletion was done in 2 commits. They are the last commits in the
> repository.
>
> I know about reverse merge and copy to restore deleted files or
> directories, but I wonder if there is another way. I am afraid that
> undoing the delete using these will cause the repository size to triple,
> if not more (there were many branches).
>
> So I have 2.5 questions:
>
> 1- I know that Subversion only stores deltas but how does it deal with
> deletion like this? Will it increase my repository size considerably?

An add-unchanged-with-history should refer to the previous copy of the file
contents in the repository - trivial size difference only due to metadata.

> 2- Also, if someone had a branch checked out with local changes, will
> the the link back to the restored folder be problematic?

Without testing, hard to say, so I'm going to have to answer "possibly".

If you want to permanently expunge these rogue revisions, you would have to:

* Dump the repository, using dump -r1:<the last good revision> and load it
into a new empty repository.
* Tell anyone who had a working copy updated to the removed revisions to
erase and re-checkout their WC.

Max.