Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Daniel Standish <da...@astronomer.io.INVALID> on 2022/03/09 05:11:25 UTC

Re: [LAZY CONSENSUS] Deprecate non-JSON extra, and require a dict

For the record, the vote [lazily] passed, and the PR
<https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/21816> was merged.

As Ash has noted, this will in effect make conn.extra and conn.extra_dejson
redundant (since, by requiring extra to be json, there's no reason we can't
store it as a dict in the first place).  But we have to think it through,
particularly regarding backcompat strategy, and for now this is left
unresolved.  And I agree with Jarek that we should improve certain aspects
of the custom fields. I can think of two issues: empty string as default
value and ugly keys (e.g `extra__google__keyfile_dict`) -- would be good to
hear what other areas of improvement you have in mind Jarek.

Re: [LAZY CONSENSUS] Deprecate non-JSON extra, and require a dict

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Mainly remove FAB components from hook definition for custom fields. They
should be all declarative but this needs some UI wizardry to rewrite the
"Connections" screen (and some back-compatibility/deprecations).