Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by Denis Noctor <de...@gmail.com> on 2020/04/01 09:20:57 UTC

Suggested AWS EC2 setup - OM 5.0.0 M3 / Ubuntu 18.04

Hi there everyone,

I thought this email might be of some interest to those setting up OM on an
AWS EC2 instance using Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-1063-aws
x86_64). There are lots of tutorials online regarding how to setup an AWS
EC2 instance, so there is no need for me to talk about that. I am assuming
you have this up and running.

However there are lots of *free* AMIs (Amazon Machine Images) in AWS that
can be automatically installed which will install a LAMP image (Linux,
Apache, MySQL, and PHP setup) and the one I used was:
“ubuntu/images/hvm-ssd/ubuntu-bionic-18.04-amd64-server-20190212.1
(ami-0a313d6098716f372)”

 I will have to update my PHP version at some stage though.

My AWS Setup is as follows:
Instance type: t3a.large (8 gigs Ram , 2 vCPUS), I was previously using a
t3a.medium (4 gigs Ram , 2 vCPUS)… which seemed to run okay… but needed to
elimate any doubts I had by cranking up the RAM. Some of you may decide to
go for lower or higher instances depending on your budget and desired
performance levels etc.

It is also important to note that I am using an Elastic IP address, which
basically means the IP address of my domain will never change and as a
result my registered domain name, for example “ABC.COM” will be directed to
this IP address…. Even if I “stop” my server to save money.

I am also using a “AWS load balancer” which also entitles me to a free
certificate which automatically renews every 12 months when set up (again
lots of info on the internet about this)  - which is an IMPORTANT POINT as
I am not using LetsEncrypt… AND AS A RESULT DEVIATE FROM ALVARO’S WONDERFUL
INSTRUCTIONS.

Let’s begin…

If you are setting up a clean install… simply follow Alvaro’s instructions
via this link:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENMEETINGS/Tutorials+for+installing+OpenMeetings+and+Tools?preview=/27838216/140774282/Installation%20OpenMeetings%205.0.0-M3%20on%20Ubuntu%2018.04%20LTS.pdf

Again, this is for OM 5.0.0-M3. If you wish to update to further snapshots
please refer to the official website, forums and links.

Please note the current version of Alvaro’s PDF… at the time of writing it
was v6.

(Assuming you have already got an AWS certificate:  you can setup your
domain as https… redirecting all http to https…. I recommend you do this
before).

NEXT STAGE – SETTING UP THE TURN SERVER.

I had originally used a free TURN server service… using
https://numb.viagenie.ca/  whereby you can setup an account… and had tested
it… and it seemed to be okay…. But I don’t like to be dependent on a 3rd
party… especially when it comes to testing… I decided to set up my own… on
the same AWS EC2 instance.

Please refer to Alvaro’s additional setup regarding “Installation SSL
certificates and Coturn for OpenMeetings 5.0.0-M3”… via the following link
--- BUT PLEASE NOTE WE ARE NOT GOING TO FOLLOW ALL THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE
LETTER:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENMEETINGS/Tutorials+for+installing+OpenMeetings+and+Tools?preview=/27838216/148644256/Installation%20SSL%20certificates%20and%20Coturn%20for%20OpenMeetings%205.0.0-M3.pdf

As I am using an AWS certificate, I am going to bypass / ignore all
references to “letsencrypt”… and here is the why… with AWS certificates you
have no control over them… you cannot download the certificate and store it
on your server… you cannot download files, like in “letsencrypt” in
Alvaro’s example … you have no access to “fullchain.pem”, “privkey.pem”.
These files are stored elsewhere in AWS... but are automatically detected
and enforced by AWS… (you could use Letsencrypt as an alternative
certificate source but this is not what this email is all about… and I
haven’t had the need to test it.)

SKIP PARTS 1,2,3 AND 4 of Alvaro’s tutorial in “Installation SSL
certificates and Coturn for OpenMeetings 5.0.0-M3”… and go straight to part
(5)… do as instructed.

In part (6) of the tutorial I decided not to change the user name in the
following as I had already set up the user name in the original OM 5.0.0 M3
instructions (“nobody”):
so instead of making the change:
*user=kurento:a_new_password*

I changed it to user=nobody:a_new_password

making all the other changes in part (6) as stated.

I *DID NOT *implement changes in part (7)  regarding
 DAEMON_USER="kurento"… I left it as "nobody"

However, I did make changes to the
/opt/open503/webapps/openmeetings/WEB-INF/classes/applicationContext.xml as
follows:
<!-- Kurento -->

        <bean id="kurentoHandler"
class="org.apache.openmeetings.core.remote.KurentoHandler"
init-method="init" destroy-method="destroy"

                        p:kurentoWsUrl="ws://127.0.0.1:8888/kurento"

                        p:checkTimeout="10000"

                        p:watchThreadCount="10"

                        p:turnUrl="*PUBLIC IP ADDRESS OF AWS SERVER*:3478"

                        p:turnUser="*nobody*:*PASSWORD*"

                        p:turnSecret="*LONG GENERATED PASSWORD*"

                        p:turnMode="rest"

                        p:turnTtl="60"

                        p:objCheckTimeout="200"

                        />

 Remember we are still in part (7)… after saving the changes to the above
(applicationContext.xml), I *DID NOT* make changes to

sudo chown -R kurento /opt/open503

I decided to keep it the same as per the original 5.0.0 M3 setup… (keeping
it as “nobody”)

I *DID NOT* modify:

sudo nano /etc/init.d/tomcat3

(i.e. changing “nobody” to “kurento”)

*AND FINALLY I MADE THE FOLLOWING CHANGE* – NOT IN THE STEPS:
/etc/kurento/modules/kurento/WebRtcEndpoint.conf.ini

turnURL=* nobody*:*PASSWORD* @* PUBLIC IP ADDRESS OF AWS SERVER*:3478

Reboot the AWS server… through SSH… SUDO REBOOT

Wait a few minutes and do the following:

sudo /etc/init.d/coturn start
sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
sudo /etc/init.d/kurento-media-server start
sudo /etc/init.d/tomcat3 start

*RESULT:* Everything works fine… ish…  please refer to my “*Notes and
Observations*” below.

Reboot the AWS server… through SSH… SUDO REBOOT

Wait a few minutes and do the following:

sudo /etc/init.d/coturn start
sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start
sudo /etc/init.d/kurento-media-server start
sudo /etc/init.d/tomcat3 start

*FINALLY – NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS*

… and you might get a laugh out of this…

I had been testing all of this with 3 laptops at home…  when I was using a
free public TURN server (stated above) … and then setup my own… just in
case it was not reliable.

I rotated user accounts on all laptops… but on one particular laptop (HP),
the user’s cam and audio dropped (it could be after 3, 5 8, 15 mins… no
pattern)… my main testing laptop!!!… the laptop uses a HP TRUEVISION
webcam… I had been testing everything on Google Chrome for months thinking
Chrome sets the standard…. But no, the camera and audio continued to drop…
the user remains in the room and can still see and hear everybody else and
can interact via the whiteboard… I thought it was an OM problem… until I
used the latest version of Firefox on that computer… and the camera didn’t
drop. I was so curious that I logged in on an older HP laptop and the same
thing happened on Chrome… downloaded Firefox… and the camera/audio was not
disconnected.

Now while you might say… you are all on the same home network… I decided to
test it with my sister in Canada and my brother in Ireland…. and once I was
logged on in Firefox on my HP laptop… we had a perfect connection… no
errors etc.

But I did notice the following: I can upload docs, videos etc on Chrome
without a problem and they are converted as expected… but when I do the
same thing on Firefox…. Sometimes it “hangs” and gives and “internal
error”. For now… on my HP laptop I upload my files on Chrome and give my
classes on Firefox.

Either way, I can give a class online. I do know that while Chrome’s main
update was in mid-February of this year…. Another update was available
today… which I have not tested. But my experience with the HP TRUEVISION
cam is a strange one… and as a result it might be a good idea for users to
state what they are testing OM on... rather than just their server specs.
Just a thought.

Thank you Maxim for all your support. Hopefully this will help some AWS
users. If anyone has questions I am happy to answer them… but for now I am
off to bed as it is 3.15am on my side and will check in in a few hours.

All the best, stay safe and well.

Denis

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Re: Suggested AWS EC2 setup - OM 5.0.0 M3 / Ubuntu 18.04

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
This "the user’s cam and audio dropped (it could be after 3, 5 8, 15 mins…
no pattern)" observation is super useful!
Thanks for that
There are lots of complains regarding such drops
Will ask users to report their browsers :)

WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: Suggested AWS EC2 setup - OM 5.0.0 M3 / Ubuntu 18.04

Posted by Daniel Baker <in...@collisiondetection.biz>.