Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by sl...@vrolijken.nl on 2005/11/02 13:49:09 UTC

Need help badly! (newbie)

Hi all,

I've been wandering around the Wiki and this mailing list for a couple of
days now and have yet to find the answers to my questions. I'm hoping this
will help.

I'm trying to add slide to an existing project. The project has it's
metadata stored in a database and it's files on a filesystem.
Authentication and authorisation is taken care of by the project.

My basic problem here is that I don't understand which parts there are in
the server, so I don't know which parts to override. It looked hopefull
while I was looking at http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-slide/DomainConfig
but that document seems unfinished. BTW: I did look at
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-slide/CreateNewSlideStore but that hasn't
helped me.

To me it looks like I want to be using
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-slide/WebdavFileStore to store the files.
This seems to be configured in
<parameter
name="callback-store">org.apache.slide.store.simple.WebdavFileStore</parameter>
but what is this a parameter of?

As a FileDescriptor (?) I'd like to create my own class, which uses the
existing datamodel. Am I right in guessing that if I do this I won't need
the DataNode in the configuration?

Can somebody (Brian Lee?) shed some light on the ExtractorsNode and the
EventsNode?

I know I'm asking a lot, but quite frankly I'm a bit frustrated. It looks
to me that slide is the answer to all my prayers, but I can't get it to do
what I want.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Groeten,

Friso

transaction trouble?

Posted by sl...@vrolijken.nl.
Hi all,

I'm fannying about with the WCK. Used the FileStore as a base for my own
class. The propfind seems to work, I do get a directory listing (yeah!).
When I try to open something however, I get an error (in MS-Word in my
case). Adding logging and debugging I found out that in both my GET and my
LOCK methods I get a rollback. Looking further into it, leads me to the
following code:

        } finally {
            if (!slideToken.isExternalTransaction() &&
transactionIsStarted) {
                // Something went wrong, we are here and the TA is still open
                try {
                    token.rollback();
                } catch (Exception e) {
                   // TODO
                   e.printStackTrace();
                }
            }

Has anybody got any pointers as how to manage the transaction? Do I have
to configure anything in the Domain.xml??

Groeten,

Friso

Re: Need help badly! (newbie)

Posted by Martin Delgado <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Friso, thanks for the info.

I'm actually to the point where I've started working
on  my own Webdav servlet.  My particular needs are
enhanced security and the ability to work with other
file access systems like Samba.  I think Slide is too
complex and too strangely organized to meet those
needs.

I'll make it open source when it becomes solid.  I'd
like to use Slide, but every time I look at the source
and the docs I get really discouraged.  I use a lot of
open source packages, and I have to say Slide is one
of the most problematic I've encountered.

--- Friso Vrolijken <vr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello Martin,
>
> Sorry for the lateness of my reply.
>
> --- Martin Delgado <ma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > First of all, are you using Slide inside Tomcat?
> > That's what I'm doing.
> No, I'm using WebSphere 5.0
>
> > I imagine it's a parameter of the store, namely
> > "<store name="primary">" inside domain.xml.  I'm
> just
> > guessing though.
> What then does it do and how does it relate to the
> nodestore?
>
> > What is exactly your problem and what are you
> trying
> > to accomplish?  Do you need to update meta
> information
> > in your database whenever files are
> accessed/modified?
> >  I think maybe that would involve a minor rewrite
> of
> > the WebDavFileStore, although, again, I'm just
> > guessing.
> Preferably metadata should be updated upon saving,
> but this is not a
> requirement. I can do this in a separate process.
> What is a requirement is that
> I use the existing database and filesystem structure
> to organise my files. This
> means that I can't just plug in the TxFile....
> stuff.
>
> > Maybe we can work this out together.
> I'm always interested in cooperating
>
> > My current
> > webdav question has to do with setting file upload
> > permissions and file access on a per user basis.
> > also want to write a custom security manager
> > application that will monitor
> > uploads/downloads/changes and make decisions about
> > whether to allow or not allow them, basically to
> stop
> > remote users from trashing an entire file system
> or
> > exporting an entire file system off site.
>
> Can't remember where I found this out, but
> apparently if the basic
> authentication fails, slide will look in a session
> attribute for a Principal. I
> haven't confirmed that this will work, but I think
> it should look something
> like this:
> Principal principal = new Principal(){ public String
> getName() {return
> "root";}};

((HttpServletRequest)request).getSession().setAttribute("org.apache.slide.webdav.method.principal",

Re: Need help badly! (newbie)

Posted by Friso Vrolijken <vr...@yahoo.com>.
Hello Martin,

Re: Need help badly! (newbie)

Posted by Martin Delgado <ma...@yahoo.com>.
Hi, I'm also a newbie.  Maybe we can help each other
out because some of our needs may intersect.

First of all, are you using Slide inside Tomcat?
That's what I'm doing.

On this question.

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-slide/Getting_Started_Domain%2eXML

What is exactly your problem and what are you trying
to accomplish?  Do you need to update meta information
in your database whenever files are accessed/modified?
 I think maybe that would involve a minor rewrite of
the WebDavFileStore, although, again, I'm just
guessing.

Maybe we can work this out together.  My current