Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Sebastien ARBOGAST <se...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/23 09:42:00 UTC

Building Eclipse plugins with Maven 2

I'm trying to apply the instructions given in the Eclipse Corner article (
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/article.php?file=Article-Eclipse-and-Maven2/index.html)
in order to build several Eclipse plugins using Maven 2.0.4.
In the first part of the article there is something about a Deploy Mojo that
would scrape my Eclipse installation and deploy all the jars to my local
repository.
But when I try to run mvn install at the level of my super POM, I get error
messages because Eclipse jar dependencies are missing.

Has anyone managed to build Eclipse plugins with this article? Any idea of
what I might have forgotten?
BTW, I've attached my super POM.

--
S�bastien Arbogast

http://www.sebastien-arbogast.com

Re: Building Eclipse plugins with Maven 2

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
you can see an example of an eclipse plugin build with maven at
http://q4e.googlecode.com/svn/branches/built-with-maven/embedder/

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: Building Eclipse plugins with Maven 2

Posted by Sebastien ARBOGAST <se...@gmail.com>.
I definitely miss something here, that is how to create a product
configuration from an existing source-plugin module (that builds fine
by the way).

I don't know enough about Eclipse RCP and product configuration to be
able to adapt the process to this particular maven setup.

Has anyone already managed to do that?

Posted by Sebastien ARBOGAST <se...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot for all your help Michal. I was afraid of renaming of
renaming the name of those projects without changing the name of tha
packages inside them (which I cannot do), but it worked. Well at least
it compiles and tests pass.

Now I would like to check that it runs. In the original project, the
one I'm mavenizing, I have a .product file that I could run directly
inside Eclipse to launch my RCP application. Should I keep this file?
And if yes, where is it best to put it? root of the main plugin or
src/main/resources?

2007/11/16, eSonic <mp...@gmail.com>:

> Sebastien Arbogast wrote:
> >
> > I managed to get through the previous issue by creating artificial
> > SNAPSHOT versions of the dependencies Maven asked for.
> > But now I'm facing yet another strange issue. The build fails on a
> > message saying that org.eclipse.test_3.2.0 plugin is missing in
> > eclipse/plugins, but just before that, it does a cleanup on the
> > eclipse installation and deletes a lot of plugins, including
> > org.eclipse.test_3.2.0.
> >

> I'm afraid your artificial module solution won't work here. psteclipse does
> the testing by copying your plugins into the Eclipse directory and deleting
> them after testing has been done. It finds the plugins to delete by the
> prefix, so if your own plugins start with org.eclipse it's very likely that
> psteclipse will delete some of Eclipse;s internals, hence the missing
> dependencies.
>
> The only solution I see for you here is changing the naming of your plugins.
> It's not that big of a problem, since Eclipse offers very decent refactoring
> features to do that across different projects.
>
> --
> Michal

Sébastien Arbogast

Posted by eSonic <mp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien ARBOGAST <se...@gmail.com>.
I managed to get through the previous issue by creating artificial
SNAPSHOT versions of the dependencies Maven asked for.
But now I'm facing yet another strange issue. The build fails on a
message saying that org.eclipse.test_3.2.0 plugin is missing in
eclipse/plugins, but just before that, it does a cleanup on the
eclipse installation and deletes a lot of plugins, including
org.eclipse.test_3.2.0. Here is my log:

C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse>mvn install
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Reactor build order:
[INFO]   Eclipse Plug-ins
[INFO]   com.mycompany.framework.common
[INFO]   org.springframework.spring
[INFO]   com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp
[INFO]   org.eclipse.jface.databinding
[INFO]   com.mycompany.security.crypto.smartcard
[INFO]   org.apache.log4j
[INFO]   org.eclipse.core.databinding
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building Eclipse Plug-ins
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] [psteclipse:update {execution: update}]
[INFO] [psteclipse:testPackage {execution: test-package}]
[INFO] [site:attach-descriptor]
[INFO] [install:install]
[INFO] Installing C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse\pom.xml to C:\Documents
and Settings\e027723\.m2\repository\com\mycompany\eclipse\com.mycompany.eclipse.plugin\1.0.0\com.mycompany.eclipse.plugin-1.0.0.pom
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building com.mycompany.framework.common
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] [psteclipse:update {execution: update}]
[INFO] Defaulting prefixes to the single prefix 'com.mycompany.'.
[INFO] [psteclipse:testPackage {execution: test-package}]
[INFO] [site:attach-descriptor]
[INFO] [psteclipse:install]
[INFO] Installing
C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse\com.mycompany.framework.common\pom.xml to
C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\.m2\repository\com\mycompany\com.mycompany.framework.common\1.0.0-SNAPSHOT\com.mycompany.framework.common-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.pom
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building org.springframework.spring
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] [psteclipse:update {execution: update}]
[INFO] Defaulting prefixes to the single prefix 'org.springframework.'.
[INFO] [psteclipse:testPackage {execution: test-package}]
[INFO] [site:attach-descriptor]
[INFO] [psteclipse:install]
[INFO] Installing
C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse\org.springframework.spring\pom.xml to
C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\.m2\repository\com\mycompany\org.springframework.spring\2.0.7\org.springframework.spring-2.0.7.pom
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] [resources:resources]
[INFO] [psteclipse:update {execution: update}]
[INFO] Defaulting prefixes to the single prefix 'com.mycompany.'.
Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/mycompany/org.springframework.spring/2.0.7/org.springframework.spring-2.0.7.jar
[WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository central
(http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/com/ncipher/jutils/1.0/jutils-1.0.pom
Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/iaik/pkcs/pkcs11-wrapper/1.2.16/pkcs11-wrapper-1.2.16.pom
[WARNING] Unable to get resource from repository central
(http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)
[INFO] [compiler:compile]
[INFO] Nothing to compile - all classes are up to date
[INFO] [resources:testResources]
[INFO] [compiler:testCompile]
[INFO] Nothing to compile - all classes are up to date
[INFO] [psteclipse:testPackage {execution: test-package}]
[INFO] Building jar:
C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse\com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp\target\pde-test\com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
[INFO] [psteclipse:test]
[INFO] Defaulting Eclipse home directory to 'C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\eclipse'.
[INFO] Defaulting prefixes to the single prefix 'com.mycompany.'.
[INFO] Validating target Eclipse environment in 'C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\eclipse'...
[INFO] Cleaning target Eclipse environment in 'C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\eclipse'...
[INFO] Building 'test.xml' for PDE testing in
'C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse\com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp\target\pde-test\test.xml'...
[INFO] No test cases found - skipping
[INFO] [psteclipse:package]
[INFO] Building jar:
C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse\com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp\target\com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
[INFO] [install:install]
[INFO] Installing
C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse\com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp\target\com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
to C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\.m2\repository\com\mycompany\com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp\1.0.0-SNAPSHOT\com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
[INFO] Installing
C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse\com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp\target\com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
to C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\.m2\repository\com\mycompany\com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp\1.0.0-SNAPSHOT\com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building org.eclipse.jface.databinding
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] [resources:resources]
[INFO] [psteclipse:update {execution: update}]
[INFO] Defaulting prefixes to the single prefix 'org.eclipse.'.
[INFO] [compiler:compile]
[INFO] Nothing to compile - all classes are up to date
[INFO] [resources:testResources]
[INFO] [compiler:testCompile]
[INFO] Nothing to compile - all classes are up to date
[INFO] [psteclipse:testPackage {execution: test-package}]
[INFO] Building jar:
C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse\org.eclipse.jface.databinding\target\pde-test\org.eclipse.jface.databinding-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
[INFO] [psteclipse:test]
[INFO] Defaulting Eclipse home directory to 'C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\eclipse'.
[INFO] Defaulting prefixes to the single prefix 'org.eclipse.'.
[INFO] Validating target Eclipse environment in 'C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\eclipse'...
[INFO] Cleaning target Eclipse environment in 'C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\eclipse'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ant.core_3.1.200.v20070522.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ant.optional.junit_3.2.100.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ant.ui_3.2.200.v20070825_r331.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.compare_3.3.1.r33x_20070906.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.core.boot_3.1.100.v20060603.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.core.commands_3.3.0.I20070605-0010.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.core.contenttype_3.2.100.v20070319.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.core.databinding.beans_1.0.1.M20070910-0800b.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.core.databinding_1.0.1.M20070822-0800.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.core.expressions_3.3.0.v20070606-0010.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.core.filebuffers_3.3.1.r331_v20070829.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.core.filesystem.win32.x86_1.1.0.v20070510.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.core.filesystem_1.1.0.v20070606.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.core.jobs_3.3.1.R33x_v20070709.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.core.net_1.0.1.r33x_20070709.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.core.resources.compatibility_3.2.100.v20070502.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.core.resources.win32_3.3.0.v20070226.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.core.resources_3.3.0.v20070604.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility.auth_3.2.100.v20070502.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility.registry_3.2.100.v20070316'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility_3.1.200.v20070502.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.3.100.v20070530.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.core.variables_3.2.0.v20070426.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.cvs.source_1.0.1.R33x_r20070802-7C79_9_KKG-mDM9e3H5D'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.cvs_1.0.0.v20070606.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.debug.core_3.3.1.v20070731_r331.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.debug.ui_3.3.1.v20070731_r331.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.equinox.app_1.0.1.R33x_v20070828.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.equinox.common_3.3.0.v20070426.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.equinox.http.jetty_1.0.1.R33x_v20070816.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.equinox.http.registry_1.0.0.v20070608.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.equinox.http.servlet_1.0.1.R33x_v20070816.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.equinox.jsp.jasper.registry_1.0.0.v20070607.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.equinox.jsp.jasper_1.0.1.R33x_v20070816.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.0.2.R331_v20071019'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.1.R33x_v20070828.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.equinox.preferences_3.2.100.v20070522.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.equinox.registry_3.3.1.R33x_v20070802.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.help.appserver_3.1.200.v20070510.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.help.base_3.3.1.v20070813_33x.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.help.ui_3.3.1.v20070726_33x.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.help.webapp_3.3.1.v20070823_33x.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.help_3.3.1.v20070726_33x.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.jdt.apt.core_3.3.1.R33x_v20070831-0435.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.jdt.apt.pluggable.core_1.0.1.R33x_v20070831-0435.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.jdt.apt.ui_3.3.1.R33x_v20070801-1930.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.jdt.compiler.apt_1.0.1.R33x_v20070831-0435.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.jdt.compiler.tool_1.0.1.v_780_R33x.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.jdt.core.manipulation_1.1.0.v20070606-0010.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.jdt.core_3.3.1.v_780_R33x.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.jdt.debug.ui_3.2.101.v20070718_r331.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.jdt.debug_3.3.1.v20070719_r331'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.jdt.doc.isv_3.3.1.r331_v20070913.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.jdt.doc.user_3.3.1.r331_v20070912a.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.jdt.junit.runtime_3.3.0.v20070606-0010.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.jdt.junit4.runtime_1.0.100.v20070606-0010.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.jdt.junit_3.3.1.r331_v20070829.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.jdt.launching_3.3.1.v20070808_r331.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.jdt.source_3.3.1.r331_v20070629-7o7jE72EDlXAbqAcnbmyg1rf8RIL'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.jdt.ui_3.3.1.r331_v20070906.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.jdt_3.3.0.v20070607-1300.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.jface.databinding_1.1.1.M20070910-0800b.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.jface.text_3.3.1.r331_v20070629.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.jface_3.3.1.M20070910-0800b.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.jsch.core_1.0.0.I20070426.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.jsch.ui_1.0.1.r33x_20070709.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.ltk.core.refactoring_3.3.1.r331_v20070829.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.ltk.ui.refactoring_3.3.1.r331_v20070829.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.osgi.services_3.1.200.v20070605.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.osgi.util_3.1.200.v20070605.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.osgi_3.3.1.R33x_v20070828.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.pde.build_3.3.2.R331_v20071019'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.pde.core_3.3.1.v20070912-0800.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.pde.doc.user_3.3.0.v20070614-0800.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.pde.junit.runtime_3.3.0.v20070608-1300.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.pde.runtime_3.3.0.v20070608-1300.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.pde.source_3.3.2.R33x_r20071022-7N7M4CYWLBCz-yHkMIuHN'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.pde.ui.templates_3.3.0.v20070608-1300.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.pde.ui_3.3.1.v20070912-0800.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.pde_3.3.1.R33x_r20070920.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv_3.3.1.r331_v20070913.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.platform.doc.user_3.3.0.M20070913-1400.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.platform.source.win32.win32.x86_3.3.2.R33x_v20071022-_19UEksF-G8Yc6bUv3Dz'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.platform.source_3.3.2.R33x_v20071022-_19UEksF-G8Yc6bUv3Dz'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.platform_3.3.2.R33x_v20071022'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.rcp.source.win32.win32.x86_3.3.2.R33x_r20071022-8y8eE9CEV3FspP8HJrY1M2dS'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.rcp.source_3.3.2.R33x_r20071022-8y8eE9CEV3FspP8HJrY1M2dS'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.rcp_3.2.0.v20070612.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.sdk_3.3.2.R33x_v20071022'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.search_3.3.1.r331_v20070831-0800.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32.x86_3.3.2.v3347a.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.swt_3.3.2.v3347.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.team.core_3.3.1.r33x_20070807.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.team.cvs.core_3.3.1.r33x_20070724.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.team.cvs.ssh2_3.2.100.I20070604.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.team.cvs.ssh_3.2.100.I20061208.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.team.cvs.ui_3.3.1.r33x_20070807.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.team.ui_3.3.1.r33x_20070730.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.test.performance.win32_3.1.100.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.test.performance_3.3.0.v20070515.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.test.source_3.3.0.v20070411'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.test_3.2.0'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.text_3.3.0.v20070606-0010.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.tomcat_4.1.230.v20070531'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ui.browser_3.2.100.v20070524A.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ui.cheatsheets_3.3.0.v20070507.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ui.console_3.2.1.v20070824_r331.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ui.editors_3.3.1.r331_v20070629.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ui.externaltools_3.1.200.v20070416.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ui.forms_3.3.0.v20070511.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.ui.ide.application_1.0.0.I20070530-0100.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ui.ide_3.3.1.M20070910-0800b.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ui.intro.universal_3.2.100.v20070530A'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ui.intro_3.2.101.v20070827_33x.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.ui.navigator.resources_3.3.1.M20070831-2000.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ui.navigator_3.3.2.M20071022-1600a.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ui.net_1.0.0.I20070516.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.ui.presentations.r21_3.2.100.I20070605-0010.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.ui.views.properties.tabbed_3.3.1.M20070831-0800.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ui.views_3.2.101.M20070910-0800b.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ui.win32_3.2.100.I20070319-0010.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.ui.workbench.compatibility_3.2.0.I20070319-0010'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.ui.workbench.texteditor_3.3.1.r331_v20070806.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ui.workbench_3.3.1.M20070921-1200.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.ui_3.3.1.M20070910-0800b.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in
'org.eclipse.update.configurator_3.2.101.R33x_v20070810.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.update.core.win32_3.2.100.v20070615.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.update.core_3.2.101.R33x_v20070911.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.update.scheduler_3.2.100.v20070615.jar'...
[INFO] Cleaning plug-in 'org.eclipse.update.ui_3.2.100.v20070615.jar'...
[INFO] Building 'test.xml' for PDE testing in
'C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse\org.eclipse.jface.databinding\target\pde-test\test.xml'...
[INFO] No test cases found - skipping
[INFO] [psteclipse:package]
[INFO] Building jar:
C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse\org.eclipse.jface.databinding\target\org.eclipse.jface.databinding-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
[INFO] [install:install]
[INFO] Installing
C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse\org.eclipse.jface.databinding\target\org.eclipse.jface.databinding-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
to C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\.m2\repository\com\mycompany\org.eclipse.jface.databinding\1.0.0-SNAPSHOT\org.eclipse.jface.databinding-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
[INFO] Installing
C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse\org.eclipse.jface.databinding\target\org.eclipse.jface.databinding-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
to C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\.m2\repository\com\mycompany\org.eclipse.jface.databinding\1.0.0-SNAPSHOT\org.eclipse.jface.databinding-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building com.mycompany.security.crypto.smartcard
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] [psteclipse:update {execution: update}]
[INFO] Defaulting prefixes to the single prefix 'com.mycompany.'.
[INFO] [psteclipse:testPackage {execution: test-package}]
[INFO] [site:attach-descriptor]
[INFO] [psteclipse:install]
[INFO] Installing
C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse\com.mycompany.security.crypto.smartcard\pom.xml
to C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\.m2\repository\com\mycompany\com.mycompany.security.crypto.smartcard\1.0.0-SNAPSHOT\com.mycompany.security.crypto.smartcard-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.pom
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building org.apache.log4j
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] [psteclipse:update {execution: update}]
[INFO] Defaulting prefixes to the single prefix 'org.apache.'.
[INFO] [psteclipse:testPackage {execution: test-package}]
[INFO] [site:attach-descriptor]
[INFO] [psteclipse:install]
[INFO] Installing C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse\org.apache.log4j\pom.xml
to C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\.m2\repository\com\mycompany\org.apache.log4j\1.2.13\org.apache.log4j-1.2.13.pom
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] Building org.eclipse.core.databinding
[INFO]    task-segment: [install]
[INFO] ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] [resources:resources]
[INFO] [psteclipse:update {execution: update}]
[INFO] Defaulting prefixes to the single prefix 'org.eclipse.'.
[INFO] [compiler:compile]
[INFO] Nothing to compile - all classes are up to date
[INFO] [resources:testResources]
[INFO] [compiler:testCompile]
[INFO] Nothing to compile - all classes are up to date
[INFO] [psteclipse:testPackage {execution: test-package}]
[INFO] Building jar:
C:\dev\myapp-maven\eclipse\org.eclipse.core.databinding\target\pde-test\org.eclipse.core.databinding-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
[INFO] [psteclipse:test]
[INFO] Defaulting Eclipse home directory to 'C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\eclipse'.
[INFO] Defaulting prefixes to the single prefix 'org.eclipse.'.
[INFO] Validating target Eclipse environment in 'C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\eclipse'...
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] The required Eclipse test framework plugin
'org.eclipse.test_3.2.0' was not found in 'C:\Documents and
Settings\e027723\eclipse\plugins'
[INFO] Total time: 9 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Fri Nov 16 16:28:38 CET 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 8M/16M

Why the heck does psteclipse remove what it needs later?

Posted by Sebastien ARBOGAST <se...@gmail.com>.
Ok, that's what I feared. Then I'm pretty much stuck here. The thing
is that this plugin was extracted from a pre-release of Eclipse 3.3,
its source was modified and now the code can't use the final version
that is bundled with Eclipse 3.3 because it depends on modifications.
So the only solution that I see for the moment is to try to get rid of
this plugin.
Thanks for your insight on psteclipse.

2007/11/16, eSonic <mp...@gmail.com>:

> Sebastien Arbogast wrote:
> >
> > Yes, that's what I did and once again, I stepped further and stalled.
> > Now the issue is that I have a source-plugin depending on
> > org.eclipse.core.runtime. The dependecy is specified in the manifest
> > and I've specified the version I'm depending on (3.3.100), the one
> > that has been scraped and deployed to my local repository.
> > Yet when I try to build this source-plugin, it's looking for version
> > 3.3.100-SNAPSHOT instead of 3.3.100.
> > Any idea? Could this be linked to the fact that my source-plugin's
> > name is something like org.eclipse... ?
> >

> This almost certainly is the cause of the problem. In terms of psteclipse,
> your plugin's prefix should be distinct from org.eclipse., otherwise
> psteclipse cannot tell which dependencies are from Eclipse and which are
> your modules under development.
>
> The assumption here (and the usual convention) is that the prefix for
> plugins is the reverse domain name of the company or organization, ie. mine
> could be:
>
>   com.buggybrain.plugin1
>   com.buggybrain.plugin2
>
> --
> Michal

Sébastien Arbogast

Posted by eSonic <mp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien ARBOGAST <se...@gmail.com>.
Yes, that's what I did and once again, I stepped further and stalled.
Now the issue is that I have a source-plugin depending on
org.eclipse.core.runtime. The dependecy is specified in the manifest
and I've specified the version I'm depending on (3.3.100), the one
that has been scraped and deployed to my local repository.
Yet when I try to build this source-plugin, it's looking for version
3.3.100-SNAPSHOT instead of 3.3.100.
Any idea? Could this be linked to the fact that my source-plugin's
name is something like org.eclipse... ?

2007/11/16, eSonic <mp...@gmail.com>:

> Sebastien Arbogast wrote:
> >
> > It seems like I'm gonna have to modify psteclipse a little bit.
> >

> Not really. It's enough to do what the link you provided suggests - copy the
> jar from the plugins directory into Eclipse's main directory as startup.jar
> and psteclipse will work just fine.
>
> I already wrote to Peter asking to work on the issue and have psteclipse
> support the new jar placement in some near version of the plugin.
>
> --
> Michal

Sébastien Arbogast

Posted by eSonic <mp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien ARBOGAST <se...@gmail.com>.
I think I found my answer:
http://eclipsenuggets.blogspot.com/2007/04/starting-eclipse-3.html

Posted by Sebastien ARBOGAST <se...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot. It works great and I'm progressing.
Now the code compiles and when Maven tries to run the test, I get the
following message:

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] The required startup jar file was not found in 'C:\Documents
and Settings\e027723\eclipse'

Apparently psteclipse is looking for a startup.jar file in eclipse
home directory but I'm using Eclipse 3.1.1 and there is no such file
in there. Is psteclipse incompatible with Eclipse 3.3?

2007/11/16, eSonic <mp...@gmail.com>:

> Sebastien Arbogast wrote:
> >
> > Obviously, I'm missing something with version numbers here, as:
> > - the version in the POM for com.mycompany.framework.common is
> > 1.0-SNAPSHOT
> > - the resulting version in the manifest after running
> > psteclipse:eclipse-plugin is 1.0
> > - the version com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp is looking for is
> > 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT
> >

> Well, I had trouble with versions initially as well. Here's the way to
> handle your issue:
>
> 1. The binary plugin that is being depended on should be added to the
> MANIFEST.MF file through Eclipse (in the dependent plugin) and NOT in the
> dependent's POM file, ie.
>
> A - is binary
> B - depends on A
>
> so A is added as a plugin dependency in B's MANIFEST.MF.
>
> 2. When adding A to B's MANIFEST supply a version - Eclipse expects here a
> 3-part number (ie. x.x.x, like 1.0.0), so even if you write 1.0 it WILL
> CHANGE IT to 1.0.0.
>
> 3. psteclipse will parse the MANIFEST of B at compile time, find the
> dependency on A and add the -SNAPSHOT suffix, so...
>
> 4. A's version as declared in the POM should actually be:
>
> <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>
> --
> Michal

Sébastien Arbogast

Posted by eSonic <mp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien ARBOGAST <se...@gmail.com>.
I still have an important issue: in fact I'm trying to mavenize an
existing Eclipse RCP project.
I have a source-plugin with a few dependencies, as shown in the manifest below:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
Bundle-Name: Rcp Plug-in
Bundle-SymbolicName: com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp
Bundle-Version: 1.0.0
Bundle-Vendor: mycompany
Bundle-Localization: plugin
Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.ui,
 org.eclipse.core.databinding.beans,
 org.eclipse.jface.databinding,
 org.eclipse.draw2d,
 org.eclipse.ui.ide,
 org.eclipse.core.runtime,
 org.apache.log4j,
 com.mycompany.framework.common,
 org.springframework.spring,
 org.eclipse.core.databinding,
 com.mycompany.security.crypto.smartcard
Eclipse-RegisterBuddy: org.apache.commons,
 org.apache.log4j,
 org.spring,
 com.mycompany.framework.common
Export-Package: ...
Eclipse-BuddyPolicy: registered
Eclipse-LazyStart: false

And when I run mvn install in the root directory for all eclipse
plugins, I get the following message (and others like it):

[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.
Missing:
----------
1) com.mycompany:com.mycompany.framework.common:pom:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT
  Path to dependency:
  	1) com.mycompany:com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp:source-plugin:1.0-SNAPSHOT
  	2) com.mycompany:com.mycompany.framework.common:pom:1.0.0-SNAPSHOT

Yet in the same directory, I've got a binary plugin with the following manifest:

Export-Package: ...
Bundle-Vendor: Princeton Softech Inc.
Bundle-ClassPath: lib\mycompany-framework-common-1.0-SNAPSHOT.jar,
 lib\org.eclipse.swt.win32.win32.x86-3.3.0.jar
Bundle-Version: 1.0
Eclipse-BuddyPolicy: registered
Bundle-Localization: plugin
Bundle-Name: com.mycompany.framework.common
Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
Bundle-SymbolicName: com.mycompany.framework.common

And the following POM:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<project>
  <parent>
    <artifactId>com.mycompany.eclipse.plugin</artifactId>
    <groupId>com.mycompany.eclipse</groupId>
    <version>1.0.0</version>
  </parent>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>com.mycompany</groupId>
  <artifactId>com.mycompany.framework.common</artifactId>
  <name>com.mycompany.framework.common</name>
  <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
  <packaging>binary-plugin</packaging>
  <dependencies>
    <dependency>
      <groupId>com.mycompany</groupId>
      <artifactId>mycompany-framework-common</artifactId>
      <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
    </dependency>
  </dependencies>
</project>

Obviously, I'm missing something with version numbers here, as:
- the version in the POM for com.mycompany.framework.common is 1.0-SNAPSHOT
- the resulting version in the manifest after running
psteclipse:eclipse-plugin is 1.0
- the version com.mycompany.framework.eclipse.rcp is looking for is
1.0.0-SNAPSHOT

I have trouble figuring out what's the logic behind all this. Can you help me?

Posted by Sebastien ARBOGAST <se...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I confirm that it works. Thanks a lot

2007/11/14, eSonic <mp...@gmail.com>:

> Sebastien Arbogast wrote:
> >
> > [INFO]
> > [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> > [INFO]
> > [INFO] Internal error in the plugin manager executing goal
> > 'org.apache.maven.plu
> > gins:maven-psteclipse-plugin:1.1.0:testPackage': Unable to find the mojo
> > 'org.ap
> > ache.maven.plugins:maven-psteclipse-plugin:1.1.0:testPackage' in the
> > plugin 'org
> > .apache.maven.plugins:maven-psteclipse-plugin'
> > org/codehaus/plexus/archiver/ArchiverException
> >

> Hmm, I might have the step to help. Go to your local Maven repository, the
> directory where the psteclipse plugin stays
> (org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-psteclipse-plugin/<version>/), open the file
> with the .pom extension and add these:
>
>   <dependencies>
>     <dependency>
>       <groupId>org.apache.maven</groupId>
>       <artifactId>maven-project</artifactId>
>       <version>2.0</version>
>     </dependency>
>     <dependency>
>       <groupId>org.apache.maven</groupId>
>       <artifactId>maven-archiver</artifactId>
>       <version>2.2</version>
>     </dependency>
>   </dependencies>
>
> I might have been too optimistic when writing how to install the psteclipse
> plugin and I thinkg the automatic pom generation doesn't create these by
> default.
>
> Let me know if this works and I'll update the article.
>
> --
> Michal

Sébastien Arbogast

Posted by eSonic <mp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien ARBOGAST <se...@gmail.com>.
Your article is very helpful but I still miss some pieces. Here I've
followed your article word by word (or at least I think I have :P) but
when I run mvn install in my first binary-plugin, I get the following
error:

[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] Internal error in the plugin manager executing goal 'org.apache.maven.plu
gins:maven-psteclipse-plugin:1.1.0:testPackage': Unable to find the mojo 'org.ap
ache.maven.plugins:maven-psteclipse-plugin:1.1.0:testPackage' in the plugin 'org
.apache.maven.plugins:maven-psteclipse-plugin'
org/codehaus/plexus/archiver/ArchiverException
[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Internal error in the pl
ugin manager executing goal 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-psteclipse-plugin:1.
1.0:testPackage': Unable to find the mojo 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-pstecl
ipse-plugin:1.1.0:testPackage' in the plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-pst
eclipse-plugin'
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(Defa
ultLifecycleExecutor.java:538)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalWithLi
fecycle(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:475)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoal(Defau
ltLifecycleExecutor.java:454)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoalAndHan
dleFailures(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:306)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeTaskSegmen
ts(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:273)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLi
fecycleExecutor.java:140)
        at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:322)
java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:25)

Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginManagerException: Unable to find the mo
jo 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-psteclipse-plugin:1.1.0:testPackage' in the p
lugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-psteclipse-plugin'
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.getConfiguredMojo(Defaul
tPluginManager.java:533)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.executeMojo(DefaultPlugi
nManager.java:390)
        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.executeGoals(Defa
ultLifecycleExecutor.java:534)
        ... 16 more
Caused by: org.codehaus.plexus.component.repository.exception.ComponentLookupExc
eption: Unable to lookup component 'org.apache.maven.plugin.Mojoorg.apache.maven
.plugins:maven-psteclipse-plugin:1.1.0:testPackage', it could not be created
        at org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.lookup(DefaultPlexusContai
ner.java:335)
        at org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.lookup(DefaultPlexusContai
ner.java:440)
        at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.getConfiguredMojo(Defaul
tPluginManager.java:524)
        ... 18 more
Caused by: org.codehaus.plexus.component.factory.ComponentInstantiationException
: Could not instanciate component: role: 'null', implementation: 'com.princetons
oftech.maven.psteclipse.TestPluginPackagingMojo'
        at org.codehaus.plexus.component.factory.java.JavaComponentFactory.makeE
xception(JavaComponentFactory.java:77)
        at org.codehaus.plexus.component.factory.java.JavaComponentFactory.newIn
stance(JavaComponentFactory.java:62)
        at org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.createComponentInstance(De
faultPlexusContainer.java:1464)
        at org.codehaus.plexus.component.manager.AbstractComponentManager.create
ComponentInstance(AbstractComponentManager.java:93)
        at org.codehaus.plexus.component.manager.PerLookupComponentManager.getCo
mponent(PerLookupComponentManager.java:48)
        at org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.lookup(DefaultPlexusContai
ner.java:331)
        ... 20 more
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/codehaus/plexus/archiver/Archiver
Exception
        at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:2389)
        at org.codehaus.plexus.component.factory.java.JavaComponentFactory.newIn
stance(JavaComponentFactory.java:44)
        ... 24 more
[INFO] Total time: < 1 second
[INFO] Finished at: Wed Nov 14 15:34:20 CET 2007
[INFO] Final Memory: 3M/7M

Any idea of what this could be?

2007/11/13, eSonic <mp...@gmail.com>:

> Sebastien Arbogast wrote:
> >
> > Obviously some bits and pieces are missing.
> >

> I actually made it work after some serious fighting. Here are the remaining
> pieces, which were missing from the article:
>

> http://www.buggybrain.com/2007/10/building-eclipse-plugins-with-maven-2.html
>

> --
> Michal

Sébastien Arbogast

Posted by eSonic <mp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien ARBOGAST <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien ARBOGAST <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien ARBOGAST <se...@gmail.com>.

2007/10/23, Torsten Schlabach <ts...@gmx.net>:

> [...]
> >               <org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui
> >pom</org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui>
> >               <org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.dse
> >pom</org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.dse>
> >               <org.eclipse.datatools.modelbase.sql
> >pom</org.eclipse.datatools.modelbase.sql>
> >               <org.junit>pom</org.junit>
> >       </properties>
> >       <modules>
> >     <module>com.myapp.framework.eclipse.rcp</module>
> >     <module>com.myapp.framework.common</module>
> >     <module>org.eclipse.core.databinding</module>
> >     <module>org.eclipse.core.databinding.beans</module>
> >     <module>org.eclipse.jface.databinding</module>
> >     <module>org.apache.log4j</module>
> >     <module>com.myapp.security.crypto.smartcard</module>
> >     <module>org.springframework.spring</module>
> >     <module>com.myapp.security.kmc.client.noncritical</module>
> >     <module>com.myapp.security.kmc.common</module>

Sébastien Arbogast

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@gmx.net>.
Hi Sebastien,