Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2014/02/23 17:57:27 UTC

[DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.0 - RC1

This is the discussion thread.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.0 - RC1

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 23, 2014 10:18 AM, "piotr.zarzycki" <pi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Alex.
>
> This is how looks installer on my computer Windows 7 ->
> http://images.devs-on.net/Image/xkuDRfSRRxyJNdTA-Obszar.png
>
> Browse folder for sdk installation doesn't work.

I saw this once.  It seems that sometimes the default properties file never
loads.

That went away when Alex pushed the site from staging to prod.

Something is perhaps stuck in staging?

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

As noted in the the vote thread - looks like the installer isn't setting the versions in the flash and AIR config files. While there a work around to this eg do it yourself it would probably cause a bit of confusion.

Other minor issues I found (some others have also pointed out)
- NOTICE + RELEASE_NOTES have wrong year.
- download cache dialog has no padding
- download cache buttons look disabled
- download cache "x" doesn't close window
- when switching to german, all select air and flash version text is still in english
- while cache is created it doesn't seem to be caching everything (eg Flex SDK)
- xml config file is cached but unable to run app with no connection
- noticed 404 request when installing Flex SDK for "https://www.apache.org/dist/flex/4.11.0/binaries/apache-flex-sdk-installer-config.xml"
- also noticed our track installer http request also requests js and css files - it probably doesn't need to do that

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.0 - RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> Currently, the installer does not cache the binary kit, only its dependencies (and only for ant-based installs, not 4.11 and older).  I chose not to cache the binary kit because we point to the nightly builds and we don't want to cache those.
Would be handy I think eg if someone just want to change the FP or AIR version but stay on the same SDK (and don't know or can't use the ide scripts to change Fp or AIR versions).

> I suppose I could add more data to the sdk-installer-config file to mark certain binary kits as "do not cache".
Would only be the nightly ones right?

> But you should have seen the AIR download go much faster, for example although it still takes quite a while to decompress and copy all of that data.
I checked with a network proxy  - it download the same version of AIR twice, so something not quite right. I checked it was in the cache before running it for the second time.

Thanks,
Justin

RE: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.0 - RC1

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Currently, the installer does not cache the binary kit, only its dependencies (and only for ant-based installs, not 4.11 and older).  I chose not to cache the binary kit because we point to the nightly builds and we don't want to cache those.  I suppose I could add more data to the sdk-installer-config file to mark certain binary kits as "do not cache".

But you should have seen the AIR download go much faster, for example although it still takes quite a while to decompress and copy all of that data.

Thoughts?
-Alex
Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Thanks Justin,

I'll try "Apache FlexJS Nightly" (with AIR13(beta) + Flash Player
13.0(beta)) and test the integration in IntelliJ (as proposed by Alex)

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.0 - RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi, I'm right now trying to install FlexJS with this RC, but the combo only
shows Flex SDK 4.x versions (9, 10 and 11). How could I install FlexJS with
this installer? I'm missing something?

Thanks

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.0 - RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Maurice Amsellem <ma...@systar.com>.
> changed the download cache to a different location, but it was not taken into account (directory empty at the end of the installation).
In fact, I entered a directory in the input field, but unchecked "Use Download cache" because I thought it was a default location.
So it's expected behavior, but confusing.
Maybe the directory input field and browse button should be disabled when "use download cache" is unchecked to prevent this error.

Maurice

De : Alex Harui [mailto:aharui@adobe.com] Envoyé : dimanche 23 février 2014 20:06 À : dev@flex.apache.org Objet : RE: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.0 - RC1

That screen shot showed the cache dialog, not the folder you choose for the installation.

Is the browse button in the cache dialog not working or the one where you choose the folder?  The cache folder buttons are using the same skin so as the main dialog so they look grey but still work for me on mac.

-Alex

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
btw, I'm on a MacBook Pro (2011), 2,3GHz Corei7, 8Gb  and OS X 10.9.1
(Mavericks)

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.0 - RC1

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
As stated in other thread a new test of the installer in my machine now
running java 7 ends in a similar crash. Here's the zip with the crash
report.

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.0 - RC1

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi, Alex,

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

RE: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.0 - RC1

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi,

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.0 - RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jose Barragan <jo...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Alex,

I've a good access for all those links, but the installer still doesn't work…

The install log, is empty until I press the green button, since that moment, we got only this text:
AIR version 3.9
Flash Player version 11.9

but nothing more, the installer don't progressing to start the installation...

Regarding the locale list, got all available possibilities.

____________________
Jose Barragan

Posted by "piotr.zarzycki" <pi...@gmail.com>.
Nothing much:

Install log:

Version 3.0.0 (windows)
AIR version 3.9
Flash Player version 11.9
AIR version 3.9
Flash Player version 11.9

-----
Flex/Air developer.
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

RE: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.0 - RC1

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Apache folks have a convention of using 'a' and 'o' for 'apache' and 'org'.  I assume it is so we don't get as much spam.

Anyway, can you tell me what the installer log says?

Thanks,
-Alex
Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> flex.a.o ??

flex .apache .org

Justin

RE: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex SDK Installer 3.0 - RC1

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Also, what was in the log?

Thanks,
-Alex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Jose Barragan <jo...@codeoscopic.com>.
Same problem here…

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Your symptoms imply that the installer can't access flex.a.o. Is that possible?

Sent via the PANTECH Discover, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.

Sorry Alex I was not precise.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.