Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Rasit OZDAS <ra...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/02 16:01:29 UTC

Re: a doubt regarding an appropriate file system

If performance is important to you, Look at the quote from a previous
thread:

"HDFS is a file system for distributed storage typically for distributed
computing scenerio over hadoop. For office purpose you will require a SAN
(Storage Area Network) - an architecture to attach remote computer storage
devices to servers in such a way that, to the operating system, the devices
appear as locally attached. Or you can even go for AmazonS3, if the data is
really authentic. For opensource solution related to SAN, you can go with
any of the linux server distributions (eg. RHEL, SuSE) or Solaris (ZFS +
zones) or perhaps best plug-n-play solution (non-open-source) would be a Mac
Server + XSan."

--nitesh

Besides, I wouldn't use HDFS for this purpose.

Rasit

Re: a doubt regarding an appropriate file system

Posted by Rasit OZDAS <ra...@gmail.com>.
I doubt If I understood you correctly, but if so, there is a previous
thread to better understand what hadoop is intended to be, and what
disadvantages it has:
http://www.nabble.com/Using-HDFS-to-serve-www-requests-td22725659.html

--
M. Raşit ÖZDAŞ