Posted to user@ctakes.apache.org by Maha Zohbi <ma...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/02 01:53:55 UTC

cTAKES API documentation

Hi,

We are looking to developing an application that processes unstructured
medical data and feeds it into a decision support system. To do that we
will use cTAKES. We downloaded the binary and followed the user guide.
However, I couldn't find any API documentation.
Can anyone point me to API documentation for cTAKES or a samples guide to
use the API?

Thanks

RE: cTAKES API documentation

Posted by "Masanz, James J." <Ma...@mayo.edu>.
Instead of using the AggregateUMLS engine, use AggregateTemplateFiller.xml (under ctakes-template-filler)

That engines does UMLS dictionary lookup and relation extraction etc and then runs the TemplateFillerAnnotator.

Hope that helps
-- James

Posted by Anirban Chakraborti <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Timothy,

Posted by N M <ma...@gmail.com>.
it seems to me that we have willing contributors, but no driver for this
project. Any ideas?

-NM

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 8:17 PM, Maha Zohbi <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks all for your help!
>

> On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 7:00 AM, N M <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Documentation which I was hoping to find as a user (hopefully eventually
>> developer) of cTAKES, was a detailed description of each component (or
>> analysis engine) and their interplay. As I've been looking at the cTAKES
>> source code, I've been creating a chart for each pipeline that I've
>> analyzed, hoping to essentially create a more useful component library than
>> the one available at
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CTAKES/cTAKES+3.0+Component+Use+Guide(a "developer version" of this, if you will).
>>
>> I've attached a pdf example of one of my personal note charts I've been
>> working on, this one is specific to the UMLS plaintext aggregate AE. My
>> idea is to have some sort of diagram for each pipeline that I can refer to,
>> so that when I need to customize things in the future, I have a pretty good
>> idea of where to go. I think it is important to chart inputs and output
>> types especially.
>>
>> Has anyone written a UIMA library to automatically document these kinds
>> of things for UIMA components? running something akin to one would save a
>> lot of time and effort, and would be much more maintainable than manually
>> created charts. (of course, the inputs and outputs would have to be noted
>> in the xml files, which doesn't seem to be the case for many of the AE's).
>>
>> Looking at the previous discussions (notably the one regarding lvg
>> entries), it seems to me that having a chart or other type of documentation
>> which lists what types come out of and go into each component would go a
>> long ways.
>>
>> Does anyone know if anything similar exists?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM, ravi garg <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Xiayuan,
>>>
>>> I hope this [1]  will be of help to you.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://github.com/ravigarg27/phenotips/blob/master/components/ctakes-service/src/main/java/edu/toronto/cs/phenotips/ctakes/AbstractScriptService.java
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Ravi

>>> MSc (hons) Biological Sciences

Posted by Maha Zohbi <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks all for your help!

Posted by "Miller, Timothy" <Ti...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Sorry for the delayed response, but this is really great.  A few follow-up points:
1) There was a figure on the website that showed the standard pipeline flow, but not the detailed inputs and outputs.

2) I believe that UIMA xml descriptors are intended to contain this information, but I'm not sure how mandatory it is, and how well that actually is done in current implementations.

3) UIMAFit has annotations that can specify much of this information. See, for example the Dependency Parser AE:
/ctakes-dependency-parser/src/main/java/org/apache/ctakes/dependency/parser/ae/ClearNLPDependencyParserAE.java

which has TypeCapability annotations specifying its inputs. I believe outputs can be specified as well.

Thanks for sharing this document -- wonder if there is a good place to put it if others might find it useful?

Tim

Posted by N M <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by ravi garg <ra...@gmail.com>.