Posted to dev@pulsar.apache.org by tison <wa...@gmail.com> on 2022/10/21 01:45:05 UTC

[DISCUSS] Use SLASHSTAR_STYLE for Java files

Hi,

Here is the pull request: https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/17508

Motivation:

When reformatting Java files, JAVADOC_STYLE cause the license header be
treated as doc comments and it will be affected from:

/**
 * ...
 * with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
 *
 *   http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *
 * Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
 * ...
 */

/**
 * ...
 * with the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
 * <p>
 * http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 * <p>
 * Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing,
 * ...
 */

This is annoying and actually fails the license check, while we can replace
JAVADOC_STYLE with SLASHSTAR_STYLE and it won't be an issue anymore.

Especially after https://github.com/apache/pulsar/pull/18142 merged, we
globally enable checkstyle rules so that the action above will become more
and more frequent.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Best,
tison.

[COMMITTER ATTENTION] Possible conflict on code style

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.
Now PR 18177 is merged. Because we don't require a patch merged should be
up-to-date on the latest master, we already check in some patches using a
different code style.

Please try to ask the PR author to run `mvn initialize license:format` to
reformat if they add new files.

Don't get confused when you find a new PR failed on format check failure of
files you don't touch :)

Best,
tison.

Posted by tison <wa...@gmail.com>.