Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com> on 2007/08/24 13:29:27 UTC

Deployment Admin

Hi all,

Some time ago I posted a message on extending the Configuration Admin
implementation to support configuration contained in bundles to be
installed (see [1]). BJ Hargrave pointed me at the Deployment Admin
Specification part of the R4.1 Compendium specs.

We have now decided to go that way an implement the specification as
well as the Auto Configuration Specification, assuming there is no
ongoing work yet in the Apache Felix project.

Starting from the spec I would setup as follows:

  * Parent folder "deployment"
  * Deployment Admin in subfolder "admin", main package
org.apache.felix.deploymentadmin
  * Auto Conf in subfolder "autoconf", main package
org.apache.felix.deployment.rp.autoconf

In addition, we currently think about also creating a Maven Plugin to
support in the creation of the Deployment Packages. Such a plugin would
probably be named "maven-deployment-plugin" and also be located in the
"deployment" folder.

Finally, the Deployment Admin spec talks about Framework backdoors
required for bundle upgrade/removal fallback. I will investigate such
backdoors in my sandbox as I will also start the development in my
sandbox.

Regards
Felix

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@felix.apache.org/msg00768.html

Re: Deployment Admin

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On 8/24/07, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:
> Felix Meschberger wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Some time ago I posted a message on extending the Configuration Admin
> > implementation to support configuration contained in bundles to be
> > installed (see [1]). BJ Hargrave pointed me at the Deployment Admin
> > Specification part of the R4.1 Compendium specs.
> >
> > We have now decided to go that way an implement the specification as
> > well as the Auto Configuration Specification, assuming there is no
> > ongoing work yet in the Apache Felix project.
> >
> > Starting from the spec I would setup as follows:
> >
> >   * Parent folder "deployment"
> >

> Hmm. This is a generic term that could be applied to OBR too. Why not
> deploymentadmin which states what it is precisely?
>
> >   * Deployment Admin in subfolder "admin", main package
> > org.apache.felix.deploymentadmin
> >

> Then this could be admin or core or whatever.
>
> >   * Auto Conf in subfolder "autoconf", main package
> > org.apache.felix.deployment.rp.autoconf
> >

> What is the "rp" ?
>
> > In addition, we currently think about also creating a Maven Plugin to
> > support in the creation of the Deployment Packages. Such a plugin would
> > probably be named "maven-deployment-plugin" and also be located in the
> > "deployment" folder.
> >

> Ok.
>
> > Finally, the Deployment Admin spec talks about Framework backdoors
> > required for bundle upgrade/removal fallback. I will investigate such
> > backdoors in my sandbox as I will also start the development in my
> > sandbox.
> >

> Ok. We can discuss this when you have some ideas...feel free to ask for
> input too.

>From the top of my head, implementing DeploymentAdmin needs two hooks
namely, access to the data area of a bundle and (optionally)
suppressing of certain install triggered events until the install is
completed or rolled back (in which case the events should be
swallowed).

Now regarding the data area access the workaround is to use the new
getBundleContext method to get the context of all bundles that are
part of the installation and ask it for the data area (alas, this
doesn't work for all cases because the bundle has to be running else
the context throws an Exception).

Regarding the events I don't think that this is that important (at
least not initially) so I would just ignore this part until somebody
really needs it.

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: Deployment Admin

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Am Freitag, den 24.08.2007, 10:47 -0400 schrieb Richard S. Hall:
> > Starting from the spec I would setup as follows:
> >
> >   * Parent folder "deployment"
> >

> Hmm. This is a generic term that could be applied to OBR too. Why not
> deploymentadmin which states what it is precisely?

ok.

> >   * Auto Conf in subfolder "autoconf", main package
> > org.apache.felix.deployment.rp.autoconf
> >

> What is the "rp" ?

I assume this is "ResourceProcessor". I deduced the package name from
the PID org.osgi.deployment.rp.autoconf specified for the Auto Conf
Resource Processor.

> Ok. We can discuss this when you have some ideas...feel free to ask for
> input too.

Sure.

Regards
Felix

Re: Deployment Admin

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Some time ago I posted a message on extending the Configuration Admin
> implementation to support configuration contained in bundles to be
> installed (see [1]). BJ Hargrave pointed me at the Deployment Admin
> Specification part of the R4.1 Compendium specs.
>
> We have now decided to go that way an implement the specification as
> well as the Auto Configuration Specification, assuming there is no
> ongoing work yet in the Apache Felix project.
>
> Starting from the spec I would setup as follows:
>
>   * Parent folder "deployment"

Hmm. This is a generic term that could be applied to OBR too. Why not
deploymentadmin which states what it is precisely?

>   * Deployment Admin in subfolder "admin", main package
> org.apache.felix.deploymentadmin

Then this could be admin or core or whatever.

>   * Auto Conf in subfolder "autoconf", main package
> org.apache.felix.deployment.rp.autoconf

What is the "rp" ?

> In addition, we currently think about also creating a Maven Plugin to
> support in the creation of the Deployment Packages. Such a plugin would
> probably be named "maven-deployment-plugin" and also be located in the
> "deployment" folder.

Ok.

Re: Deployment Admin

Posted by Marcel Offermans <ma...@luminis.nl>.
On Aug 24, 2007, at 13:29 , Felix Meschberger wrote:

> Some time ago I posted a message on extending the Configuration Admin
> implementation to support configuration contained in bundles to be
> installed (see [1]). BJ Hargrave pointed me at the Deployment Admin
> Specification part of the R4.1 Compendium specs.
>
> We have now decided to go that way an implement the specification as
> well as the Auto Configuration Specification, assuming there is no
> ongoing work yet in the Apache Felix project.

In fact, within luminis we are just finishing a version of the
Deployment Admin specification which we intend to donate to Apache
Felix soon, so your timing is great and it's good to see there is
interest in the community for such an implementation. The
implementation has been written by Christian van Spaandonk and we are
currently cleaning it up and putting it through rigorous testing.

That still leaves the Auto Configuration Specification and a Maven
plugin to be done (and we might consider creating other build tools
that allow you to create these deployment packages, such as an Ant
plugin and a command line tool).

> Finally, the Deployment Admin spec talks about Framework backdoors
> required for bundle upgrade/removal fallback. I will investigate such
> backdoors in my sandbox as I will also start the development in my
> sandbox.

Karl already hinted at that, the 4.1 spec helps here, and some minor
adjustments might be helpful. Without much problem it will be
possible to keep this bundle framework independent though.

Expect a post from Christian soonish!

Greetings, Marcel