Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/17 00:41:32 UTC

[DISCUSS] Rename main branch?

Hi,

I'd like to have all of us come to the same understanding of renaming the main branch of our repos.

Here is some background reading to inform our decision.
https://github.com/pmmmwh/react-refresh-webpack-plugin/issues/113

Let's have a discussion now and vote later.

Regards,
Craig

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] Rename main branch?

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marco,

I'm afraid this message is not on topic for the jdo dev mail list.

We are talking about renaming a branch. This is not a slippery slope leading to the demise of the project.

We are not re-litigating the history of GDR, Linus Torvalds, Liquid Democracy, or the 3rd Reich.

Ciao,
Craig

Posted by Marco Nguitragool <ma...@codewizards.co>.
Hi Craig,

Posted by Marco Nguitragool <ma...@nightlabs.de>.
Hi Craig,

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marco,

Posted by Marco Nguitragool <ma...@nightlabs.de>.
Hi everyone,

Posted by Tilmann <ti...@gmx.de>.
I also do not feel strongly about either name, especially (as mentioned
before) because it derives from the master record analogy.

If I may add something: I asked a good friend of mine (an Afro-American
woman with relevant ancestry for this topic). She said that she
"wouldn't bother" renaming anything in this context. She would in no way
feel put off by the term 'master' or even associate it with anything
bad, not least because it has many (often positive) meanings outside the
historic context (e.g. master degree).

TL;DR
I am slightly in favor of leaving it as is, but wouldn't object if
anyone wants to change it.

Cheers,
Til

Posted by Tobias Bouschen <to...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.