Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de> on 2008/01/21 16:01:50 UTC

failing tests

Hi,

I can't help noticing that we currently seem to have *various* test
cases that occasionally fail. This is very disturbing, because I'm a
believer in not checking in new code until tests pass. With the current
failures it's very hard to be sure that a change is good, and I fear
that the longer we let the tests fail, the worse the situation will
become (the "broken window" problem).

In particular, I see failures in:

testRestoreName(org.apache.jackrabbit.test.api.version.RestoreTest)

testRemoveLabel(org.apache.jackrabbit.jcr2spi.version.LabelTest)

testRevertReorderToEnd(org.apache.jackrabbit.jcr2spi.ReorderReferenceableSNSTest)

So...

- is anybody looking at these?

- do we have JIRA issues (except JCR-1293 which seems to be something
different)?

BR, Julian

Re: failing tests

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Jan 21, 2008 5:01 PM, Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de> wrote:
> I can't help noticing that we currently seem to have *various* test
> cases that occasionally fail. This is very disturbing, because I'm a
> believer in not checking in new code until tests pass.

+1

> - is anybody looking at these?

Not sure. I looked at them while preparing 1.4, but didn't have the
cycles to come up with anything substantial so I just cut corners and
disabled them for 1.4 as mentioned on JCR-1293.

A more proper approach would have been to file real bug reports for
the issues and have them recorded as known issues in the 1.4 release
notes.

> - do we have JIRA issues (except JCR-1293 which seems to be something
> different)?

Not that I know of. We should add a bug report about the failing tests
after which it's OK to disable the tests as known issues. I'll do that
tomorrow unless anyone beats me to it.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: failing tests

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com>.
hi julian

Julian Reschke wrote:
> - is anybody looking at these?
> - do we have JIRA issues (except JCR-1293 which seems to be something
> different)?

i have been looking at the problem described in
JCR-1293 and i assume that all the occasional
failing tests are a result of the same problem
(the one described in the mentioned bug).

but i didn't have time yet to fix it, though i
have some ideas how to get there.
angela