Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Benjamin Bannier <be...@mesosphere.io> on 2016/01/05 09:59:41 UTC

Using dolt instead of libel when possible

Hi,

dolt is a replacement for libtool which promises to fix some performance issues of libtool, many of which have since dolt’s release landed in some versions of libtool.

I have made some first measurements of dolt under Debian8 (hardly any improvement) and OS X 10.10.5 (noticeable speed-up), see

While dolt should fallback to libtool if incompatibility with the build host is detected, it would be great if we could gather some more feedback on this change (e.g., does it horribly fail the build on your host, what speedup does it provide, …).

Cheers,

Benjamin

Re: Using dolt instead of libel when possible

Posted by Benjamin Bannier <be...@mesosphere.io>.
Hi,

> On Jan 5, 2016, at 8:08 PM, James Peach <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 5, 2016, at 12:59 AM, Benjamin Bannier <be...@mesosphere.io> wrote:
>> dolt is a replacement for libtool which promises to fix some performance issues of libtool, many of which have since dolt’s release landed in some versions of libtool.
>
> Is dolt still maintained?

No, development has stopped, but we are talking about 180 lines of m4 code here, most of which are embedded shell script templates.

I have used dolt without issues for other projects in the past (mostly under some Linux), and sent this mail around to find out it it breaks builds for some systems we don’t test often.

>> I have made some first measurements of dolt under Debian8 (hardly any improvement) and OS X 10.10.5 (noticeable speed-up)
>
> Which version of autoconf did you test on OS X?

This is GNU autoconf-2.69 from homebrew.

Posted by James Peach <jo...@gmail.com>.