Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/09 17:08:05 UTC

Question on template handling in 1.0

James Wing asked a good question on a closed JIRA that I didn't want
to get lost (closed things get far less attention usually).

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-1781?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=15413792#comment-15413792

Recommend for discussions on non-active items we bring them to dev so
they have a better chance of being addressed.

On this topic, James, I had wondered the same thing.  I've actually
found I quite like the current approach now that I've become used to
it but that said I think it is good to discuss it.

Usability discussions are good to have and they don't have to be tied
to any particular release.  We can keep improving this as we go.

Thanks
Joe

Re: Question on template handling in 1.0

Posted by James Wing <jv...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for picking this up, Joe.  The short recap:

In 1.0, the import template option is provided only from the floating
Actions toolbar rather than the Templates dialog as it was in 0.x.  I asked
on the ticket why it moved.  If I understand Matt Gilman's explanation, the
reason is that importing templates is tied to the users's permissions
within the current process group context.  In the richer 1.0 permissions
model, a user might have permissions to upload a template into a particular
process group, but not globally.  The Actions toolbar is explicitly tied to
the current context rather than a global artifact like the Templates dialog.

-----

This is not a critical issue by any means.  It works and even I was able to
figure it out.  I understand and approve of how the permission model
complicates template imports in a good way, but it was an abrupt change
from 0.x.  I won't be the last guy to stare at the Templates dialog and
wonder if I need an eye exam or a browser update. I'm curious how others
experience this and if it is worth further attention. I admit to being
short on good constructive suggestions that would do a better job either at
helping user migrate or helping them adopt the 1.0 mindset.

Helping Users Migrate:
* Same Old Import Button - Include the same old import button in the
Templates dialog out of unfettered optimism that the user has permissions
to import templates to the root process group.  Maybe we could invalidate
the button if the user does not have the right permissions?
* Hint in Templates Dialog - Add helpful text directly to the Templates
dialog that announces or explains the change, especially for the first one
or two 1.x releases.
* Help Documentation - Update the User Guide to explain the 1.0 concept and
the change from 0.x.  I wish I could say I looked at the help before
emailing, but I didn't :(.  It may need an update anyways, I'll create a
ticket.

Pushing the 1.0 Mindset:
* Templates by Process Group - I now notice the Process Group ID in the
Templates dialog, but I did not previously appreciate it's significance.
If the templates where listed in a "group by" style layout by process
group, this association might be more obvious.  Downside would be a lot
more UI work, and it might use a lot of dialog real estate in a complex
flow.
* Show Templates in Context - List the templates currently available to the
current context, as an extension to the Actions toolbar or yet another
floating window (yeah, I know).  This might help reinforce the association
and provide feedback as to where templates went.

Thanks,

James