Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com> on 2009/06/16 02:24:17 UTC

losing history

I thought SVN's rename was supposed to preserve history?
I just wanted to look up the history of MultiTermEnum, and when I went
to the file (now in DirectoryReader renamed from MultiSegmentReader)
but all the history is gone before the last rename.  IntelliJ and "svn
log" both showed only 3 versions.

Could I at least get it by specifying the old name from the command
line?  guess not...
$ svn log ./src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/MultiSegmentReader.java
svn: 'src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/MultiSegmentReader.java' is not
under version control

tips?

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: losing history

Posted by Luke Nezda <ln...@gmail.com>.
History's not gone, just hard to get to.  This is really manual, but afaik
you have to use the full URL @ 1  - revision_doomed_file_was_was_deleted_in
syntax:

svn log
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/src/java/org/apache/lucene/index/MultiSegmentReader.java@782405|
less

Maybe this file was deleted rather than moved/renamed?

hth,
- Luke

Re: losing history

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
I'm afraid this was my bad -- I blindly applied the patch and svn
deleted the 0 byte files and failed to manually do the svn move
instead.

I believe the trunk version of svn includes an "svn patch" command
(that is sorely needed).  It'd fix this as well as eg forgetting to
svn add new files in a patch, failing to carry over changes to svn
props, etc.

Mike

RE: losing history

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.