Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by daniel robinson <dr...@dnai.com> on 2002/06/06 19:54:19 UTC

Web Site Construction Patterns?

All,

I hope this is the right place for this topic,  Please let me know if
not.

I have just completed a basic framework (high-level) for a Website that
I am working on.  I am an experienced programmer but this is the first
time that I have done any extensive work in HTML/XML/XSLT/Servelets.  I
am impressed by Cocoon and it seems like a great product to be building
my site with.

It occurs to me as I work on this project that there everything I am
doing has been done before, lots of times.  Of course that is what
Cocoon is addressing - at different levels.  I am finding myself haviing
to make many decisions as I move ahead.  Since I am a complete Newbie I
have little or no reference point for making these decisions.  What I'm
wondering is whether or not Patterns could help?

Let me give an example.  I have to have user
sessions/authentication/permissions/profiles.  Nothing new here.  I have
even done extensive work on this in other realms.  I am familiar with a
number of Patterns for accomplishing this in my experience and I can
plow ahead and see what works.  I know, for example, that there is
extensive ongoing work within the Cocoon project (Sunshine?) that works
on this.  So from my experience so far with Cocoon what it will mean is
that I have to jump into a description of the features that are offered
and a descirption of how it works.  Then I will have to make a decision
to use it or not based on what I understand my requirements to be.  What
I would really like would be a mid to high level collection of Patterns
for dealing with these features and then a mapping of those Patterns
onto what Cocoon offers and doesn't offer.

My premise is that if I could access this knowledge base it would make
my work easier as well as serving as a guidepost for Cocoon itself.  (We
have implemented parts of x Pattern for the following reasons....)

Does anyone know of an effort to capture these sorts of "Patterns of Web
Development" in an organized manner?

Thanks,

Dan