Posted to dev@opennlp.apache.org by James Kosin <ja...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/09 05:58:33 UTC

OpenNLP Dictionary Serializer

Everyone,

I've done some changes to the DictionarySerializer that may break more
code in the field.  Maybe; a better option would be to add a new method
that takes the additional parameter to the function and deprecate the
older method and have it call the new method with a true value for the
case sensitivity flag?
Any ideas or opinions?

Thanks,
James

Re: OpenNLP Dictionary Serializer

Posted by James Kosin <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 8/9/2011 4:21 AM, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
> On 8/9/11 5:58 AM, James Kosin wrote:
>> Everyone,
>>
>> I've done some changes to the DictionarySerializer that may break
>> more code in the field.  Maybe; a better option would be to add a new
>> method that takes the additional parameter to the function and
>> deprecate the older method and have it call the new method with a
>> true value for the case sensitivity flag?
>> Any ideas or opinions?
>
> I thought actually of a different way to implement this change.
>
> Instead of letting the create method return the case sensitivity flag,
> I would
> have added a new method to the EntryInserter interface.
>
> Anyway that would not be possible to implement without breaking all
> implementations
> of it.
>
> With the way James took, it is easy to maintain backward
> compatibility. We
> just need to add the old serialize method again.
>
> +1 to do that
>
> Jörn

I've added the old serializer and parameters back to the function and
just call with the case sensitive flag set to true.  The nice thing
about XML is that any attributes that are not acted on by the parser are
ignored.  So the loader or create() method is backward compatible
regardless.
The only down side is the current implementation would need
clarification as to what the return value is for. ... another may be to
add a method that allows us to set the isCaseSensitive flag for the
class inside the content handler... only downside is then the value
cannot be final; since we would be allowing it to change outside the
constructor.  Any objections, or ideas on that or is loosing the final
attribute not that bad?

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.