Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de> on 2003/07/06 16:54:34 UTC

[lang] WordWrapUtils

Henri Yandell wrote:
> We also see the addition of more Utils classes:
> WordWrapUtils

RT mode:
It would be interesting if WordWrap would implement Unicode TR14.
I, or better the FOP project, have also a hyphenator which would
also fit with the word wrapping issue.

Finally I have a spell chacker (a rewrite of MySpell in Java) which
searches a home. Because it loads the whole dictionary into memory,
I dont consider it ready for use in long running programs, like
servers. Apart from this, is anybody interested in including this
type of software into [lang], or perhaps in sponsoring a [text]
project in the sandbox?

J.Pietschmann

Re: [lang] WordWrapUtils

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:

> "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de> writes:
>
> >Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> >> +1
>
> >Ahem, +1 to what:
>
> +1 to keep WordWrapUtils in commons-lang for the next release but
> moving it into commons-text (sandbox) and deprecating it from c-l
> once the commons-text leaves sandbox status.

Agreed. If a healthy commons-text emerged, I see no reason why
WordWrapUtils shouldn't be able to head over. Unlike some of the lang.math
stuff it's not as core.

Hen

Re: [lang] WordWrapUtils

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de> writes:

>Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
>> +1

>Ahem, +1 to what:

+1 to keep WordWrapUtils in commons-lang for the next release but
moving it into commons-text (sandbox) and deprecating it from c-l
once the commons-text leaves sandbox status.

	Regards
		Henning

--- Quote of the week: "It is pointless to tell people anything when
you know that they won't process the message." --- Jonathan Revusky

Re: [lang] WordWrapUtils

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> +1

Ahem, +1 to what:
[ ] Creating a sandbox [text] component, move WordWrapUtils there
     and
      [ ] implement TR14
      [ ] add hyphenation including all utilities
      [ ] add spell checking
[ ] improve/add stuff to WordWrapUtils in [lang]
[ ] something else: ............................

> However, as it was me who resurrected WordWrapUtils, I'd like to see
> them in a commons-proper package the sooner the better, because we're
> currently planning to remove our internal class from the Turbine code
> and we want to use it.
>
> Moving it to a commons-text package later would be really nice.

Hmm, there are rules, I mean a developer community is required.

J.Pietschmann

Re: [lang] WordWrapUtils

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: [lang] WordWrapUtils

Posted by Eric Galluzzo <eg...@einnovation.com>.
J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> Apple have a spell-checking api. It only works on OS X, but they
>> supply a
>> stubbed out API for deploying to other machines. Would be quite cool if
>> your spell checker shared API with Apple's.
>

> Neat idea. The current API is for spell checking a single word,
> the Apple API is a somewhat higher level, with parsing words
> from text and dictionary management. I don't think however a
> com.apple.spell package would be tolerated in the ASF repository
> by either Apple ot the board.

Actually, our company has developed an open-source generic spell
checking API (under an Apache/MIT-like license, I believe), in the same
spirit as Commons Logging.  Currently it has backends for Wintertree and
Jazzy.  Actually, come to think of it, I'm not sure if the Jazzy one was
ever written.  But it certainly has a Wintertree backend.  If you're
interested, we could donate this to Jakarta without much problem, and it
would be possible to write additional drivers for your spelling API and
for Apple's.

    - Eric

Re: [lang] WordWrapUtils

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Henri Yandell wrote:
> Apple have a spell-checking api. It only works on OS X, but they supply a
> stubbed out API for deploying to other machines. Would be quite cool if
> your spell checker shared API with Apple's.

Neat idea. The current API is for spell checking a single word,
the Apple API is a somewhat higher level, with parsing words
from text and dictionary management. I don't think however a
com.apple.spell package would be tolerated in the ASF repository
by either Apple ot the board.

Is there an established procedure for creating new sandbox
components (including voting and such), and if a [text]
component was created could someone help bootstrap the
component (Gump integration etc.)?

J.Pietschmann

Re: [lang] WordWrapUtils

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Bill Keese wrote:
> By the way, are the people involved in WordWrapUtils aware of ICU's
> (http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/) code to do this?  (LineBreakIterator,
> etc.).

I don't think so.
Even Java has a java.text.BreakIterator which can be used for line
breaks, I don't know however how they handle theThai and ambiguous
ideographs (most likely fall back to default).

J.Pietschmann

Re: [lang] WordWrapUtils

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
For my part, I'd never heard of it in this context. Did come across it the
other day when trying to build jikes and not having some GNU api [iconv].
ICU [C variant] was the alternative.

http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu4j/ looks interesting.

Hen

Re: [lang] WordWrapUtils

Posted by Bill Keese <bi...@tech.beacon-it.co.jp>.

Re: [lang] WordWrapUtils

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, J.Pietschmann wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > We also see the addition of more Utils classes:
> > WordWrapUtils
>
> RT mode:
> It would be interesting if WordWrap would implement Unicode TR14.
> I, or better the FOP project, have also a hyphenator which would
> also fit with the word wrapping issue.

TR14? Had never heard of it. Now that I have, I'll try to read
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr14/ so I can talk sensibly.

> Finally I have a spell chacker (a rewrite of MySpell in Java) which
> searches a home. Because it loads the whole dictionary into memory,
> I dont consider it ready for use in long running programs, like
> servers. Apart from this, is anybody interested in including this
> type of software into [lang], or perhaps in sponsoring a [text]
> project in the sandbox?

Just an idea to throw in.