Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Yaar Reuveni <so...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/25 18:06:43 UTC

Kafka version 0.8 ETA

Hey,

Are there any news about the ETA for Kafka version 0.8 release?
I saw an old thread about it from April
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-kafka-users/201204.mbox/%3CCAOG_4QaHsP-Oi_R1XRs_5kzXXBZv2_CH5b=emi0GEmShw5htCg@mail.gmail.com%3E
where Neha said it might be released around August. is that still the plan?

we are now researching the use of Kafka as our main message queuing system
for a new framework were building,
and version 0.8 has a few exiting new features for us like the replicatoin,
but even more interesting are the changes to the consumer API especially
the central consumer coordination.
we would like to be able to consume a topic with a few consumer groups, but
enable the same group to have multiple consumers
in adjacent locations/nodes and still have a balanced portioning for all of
them
we were looking at https://github.com/edwardcapriolo/IronCount as
a possible solution, but naturally it would be better if it
was supported directly by Kafka.

Thanks,
Yaar

Re: Kafka version 0.8 ETA

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yaar,

Jun has been sending out really awesome updates on replication work. Check
the list for a "replication status" email. He sends that out once a week
(latest one here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-kafka-dev/201206.mbox/%3CCAFbh0Q1vGQjcVC2Ep9dqcx-kvBboWe1SZM2oe0Ncdui547_FJw%40mail.gmail.com%3E).
You can also follow progress in real-time via this JIRA and its many
subtasks: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-50

Jun gave a great overview of the design and progress in the user group
meeting which was recorded here: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/23321300

The release plan is now sept, roughly. Much of that is tied to the roll
out, which is somewhat unpredictable.

We had divided work into the following phases:
1. Preparatory work (new request formats, async request handling, etc)
2.1 Basic multi-broker replication without fault-tolerance or producer
acknowledgement
2.2 Fault-tolerance (leader election) and asynchronous producer
acknowledgements (i.e. optionally block producer until message is
replicated)
3. Operational features: partition migration, various corner-cases related
to rolling restarts, other monitoring, tooling, and performance work.

Phases 1 and 2.1 are complete. Phase 2.2 is in progress: there is a patch
being reviewed for acknowledgements and the leadership election work is in
progress. Phase 3 is not yet begun.

-Jay