Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2014/09/24 23:07:19 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.14

The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.14 release is now available for voting.

The main changes since 8.0.12 are:
- Windows service runner, Windows service manager and Windows installer
  are digitally signed with the new ASF code signing service
- Implement Java WebSocket 1.1
- Improvements to start times by reducing overhead of annotation
  scanning
- Optional RFC6265 compliant cookie parser (Note that this is
  experimental and that the configuration options for this will change
  in the next release)

There is also the usual collection of bug fixes, new features and
performance improvements. For full details, see the changelog:
http://svn.us.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/webapps/docs/changelog.xml

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.14/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1022/
The svn tag is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_14/

The proposed 8.0.14 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.14

VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.14

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Binding:
+1: jfarcand, yoavs, markt, remm, schultz, violetagg, kkolinko

Non-binding:
+1: Ognjen Blagojevic, Martin Grigorov, fschumacher

The vote therefore passes.

Thanks to everyone who tested this release.

I'll copy the bits across now and announce in around 24 hours time after
the mirrors have caught up.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.14

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
[ X ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.14

Tested Apache Wicket impl for JSR 356 with the tar.gz bundle.

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

On 24.9.2014 23:07, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed 8.0.14 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.14

(non-binding)

Tested .zip distribution on Windows 7 64-bit:

- Tested TLS/SSL connectivity for BIO, NIO and APR connectors.

- Crawled all links (except /manager, /host-manager and
/examples/async*). No broken links found, except links to JavaDocs.

- Smoke tests of BIO, NIO and APR, with and without TLS, all passed.

- Tested with several webapps that are in active development.

- Tested OpenSSL cypher syntax with BIO connector.

-Ognjen

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.14

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.14 release is now available for voting.
>
> The main changes since 8.0.12 are:
> - Windows service runner, Windows service manager and Windows installer
>   are digitally signed with the new ASF code signing service
> - Implement Java WebSocket 1.1
> - Improvements to start times by reducing overhead of annotation
>   scanning
> - Optional RFC6265 compliant cookie parser (Note that this is
>   experimental and that the configuration options for this will change
>   in the next release)
>
> There is also the usual collection of bug fixes, new features and
> performance improvements. For full details, see the changelog:
> http://svn.us.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/webapps/docs/changelog.xml
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.14/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1022/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_14/
>
> The proposed 8.0.14 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.14

Checked with applications that use the new specifications features.

Regards,
Violeta

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.14

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 24.09.2014 23:07, schrieb Mark Thomas:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.14 release is now available for voting.
>
> The main changes since 8.0.12 are:
> - Windows service runner, Windows service manager and Windows installer
>   are digitally signed with the new ASF code signing service
> - Implement Java WebSocket 1.1
> - Improvements to start times by reducing overhead of annotation
>   scanning
> - Optional RFC6265 compliant cookie parser (Note that this is
>   experimental and that the configuration options for this will change
>   in the next release)
>
> There is also the usual collection of bug fixes, new features and
> performance improvements. For full details, see the changelog:
> http://svn.us.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/webapps/docs/changelog.xml
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.14/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1022/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_14/
>
> The proposed 8.0.14 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [x] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.14

builds and unit tests passes on linux

Felix

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.14

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
> Mark,
>
> On 9/26/14 3:55 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 25/09/2014 20:56, Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>
>>> Some test fail. On my system the "tribes" tests always fail, likely due
>>> to missing multicast support
>>
>> Yes, that will trigger test failures.
>
> I've never explicitly set up multicast, so I've always assumed that it's
> not configured. I have multiple Linux environments and an OS X laptop
> (where I've never bothered to run the full test-suite).
>
> On Linux, eth0 says:
>
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>
> So it seems like multicast should be enabled. Is there special
> configuration you know of that might be required in order to run those
> tests?
>
> On my Mac, I see multicast as well for both en0 (disconnected ethernet)
> and en1 (connected wireless):
>
> en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>
> Would additional configuration be required to run these tests on the Mac?

If I recall correctly, you have to disable the firewall on a Mac before
those tests will work.

Take a look at org.apache.catalina.tribes.TesterMulticast

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 9/26/14 3:55 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

>> Some test fail. On my system the "tribes" tests always fail, likely due
>> to missing multicast support
>
> Yes, that will trigger test failures.

I've never explicitly set up multicast, so I've always assumed that it's
not configured. I have multiple Linux environments and an OS X laptop
(where I've never bothered to run the full test-suite).

On Linux, eth0 says:

So it seems like multicast should be enabled. Is there special
configuration you know of that might be required in order to run those
tests?

On my Mac, I see multicast as well for both en0 (disconnected ethernet)
and en1 (connected wireless):

en1: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

Would additional configuration be required to run these tests on the Mac?

>> I noticed this during the test-bio run:
>>
>>     [junit] Write length: 1, Buffered: n, Time: 50309480ns
>>     [junit] Write length: 1, Buffered: y, Time: 63297451ns
>>     [junit] Write length: 10, Buffered: n, Time: 952385ns
>>     [junit] Write length: 10, Buffered: y, Time: 1253882ns
>>     [junit] Write length: 100, Buffered: n, Time: 643847ns
>>     [junit] Write length: 100, Buffered: y, Time: 763425ns
>>     [junit] Write length: 1000, Buffered: n, Time: 616628ns
>>     [junit] Write length: 1000, Buffered: y, Time: 734361ns
>>     [junit] Write length: 10000, Buffered: n, Time: 627050ns
>>     [junit] Write length: 10000, Buffered: y, Time: 723313ns
>>     [junit] Write length: 100000, Buffered: n, Time: 749909ns
>>     [junit] Write length: 100000, Buffered: y, Time: 770355ns
>>
>> Whatever we are buffering, it's not helping ;)
>
> It isn't expected to. Tomcat is buffering internally so the extra buffer
> is just overhead.  Ideally, we'd check unbuffered it always faster than
> buffered.

Okay. I was just reading-through the output and noticed a big block of
text that was different from all the test (startup/shutdown,
startup/shutdown, etc.) and it caught my eye.

>> Several tests fail during test-bio, but they all seem to be non-blocking
>> so maybe they aren't supposed to fail:
>>
>> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationDispatcher.invoke Servlet.service()
>> for servlet error threw exception
>>     [junit]  javax.servlet.ServletException: Opps.
>>     [junit]     at
>> org.apache.catalina.core.TestAsyncContextImpl$ErrorServlet.doGet(TestAsyncContextImpl.java:1028)
>>     [junit]     at
>> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:618)
>>     [junit]     at
>> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:725)
>>
>> Note that "oops" is misspelled. :)
>
> Those exceptions are all deliberate. As long as the test passes
> everything is fine. I'll see about fixing that typo.

Okay. I double-checked and the "Opps" traces aren't being reported as
test failures or errors. Only the multicast stuff isn't working.

-chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.14

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

On 9/24/14 5:07 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.14 release is now available for voting.
>
> The main changes since 8.0.12 are:
> - Windows service runner, Windows service manager and Windows installer
>   are digitally signed with the new ASF code signing service
> - Implement Java WebSocket 1.1
> - Improvements to start times by reducing overhead of annotation
>   scanning
> - Optional RFC6265 compliant cookie parser (Note that this is
>   experimental and that the configuration options for this will change
>   in the next release)
>
> There is also the usual collection of bug fixes, new features and
> performance improvements. For full details, see the changelog:
> http://svn.us.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/webapps/docs/changelog.xml
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.14/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1022/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_14/
>
> The proposed 8.0.14 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.14

Build/test went okay, and things seem to be running smoothly on a
standard web application with no new features like Websocket, Comet, etc.

Details:
Debian Linux 7.0 (Wheezy)
java version "1.7.0_67"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode)

md5(apache-tomcat-8.0.14.zip): Matches
GPG verify (apache-tomcat-8.0.14.zip): Matches
md5(apache-tomcat-8.0.14.tar.gz): Matches
GPG verify (apache-tomcat-8.0.14.tar.gz): Matches
md5(apache-tomcat-8.0.14.exe): Matches
GPG verify (apache-tomcat-8.0.14.exe): Matches
Binary Zip and tarball:Same
md5(apache-tomcat-8.0.14-src.zip): Matches
GPG verify (apache-tomcat-8.0.14-src.zip): Matches
md5(apache-tomcat-8.0.14-src.tar.gz): Matches
GPG verify (apache-tomcat-8.0.14-src.tar.gz): Matches
Source Zip and tarball:Same

tcnative builds with warnings (we should probably fix some of these)

Checkstyle is happy

Tomcat builds with deprecation and unchecked warnings

Tomcat tests build with deprecation warnings

Some test fail. On my system the "tribes" tests always fail, likely due
to missing multicast support, etc. I have failures in the following tests:

tarball/apache-tomcat-8.0.14-src/output/build/logs/TEST-org.apache.catalina.session.TestStandardSession.APR.txt:Tests
run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 4.219 sec
tarball/apache-tomcat-8.0.14-src/output/build/logs/TEST-org.apache.catalina.session.TestStandardSession.BIO.txt:Tests
run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 1.777 sec
tarball/apache-tomcat-8.0.14-src/output/build/logs/TEST-org.apache.catalina.session.TestStandardSession.NIO2.txt:Tests
run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 7.179 sec
tarball/apache-tomcat-8.0.14-src/output/build/logs/TEST-org.apache.catalina.session.TestStandardSession.NIO.txt:Tests
run: 2, Failures: 0, Errors: 1, Time elapsed: 3.036 sec

The details of the failures are all of the following type:

25-Sep-2014 10:49:05.654 SEVERE [main]
org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.nio.
NioReceiver.start Unable to start cluster receiver
 java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address
        at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)
        at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:444)
        at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Net.java:436)
        at
sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(ServerSocketChannelImpl.java:
214)
        at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(ServerSocketAdaptor.java:74)
        at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(ServerSocketAdaptor.java:67)
        at
org.apache.catalina.tribes.transport.ReceiverBase.bind(ReceiverBase.j
ava:184)

This appears to be the same problem I have in my environment with
multicase/tribes, so I suspect these issues are environmental in nature.

Some additional notes on the unit tests:

Posted by Jeanfrancois Arcand <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 2014-09-24, 5:07 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> The proposed 8.0.14 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.14
Tested WebSockets and Servlet 3 AsyncContext API.

-- Jeanfrancois

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.14

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 24/09/2014 22:07, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.14 release is now available for voting.
>
> The main changes since 8.0.12 are:
> - Windows service runner, Windows service manager and Windows installer
>   are digitally signed with the new ASF code signing service
> - Implement Java WebSocket 1.1
> - Improvements to start times by reducing overhead of annotation
>   scanning
> - Optional RFC6265 compliant cookie parser (Note that this is
>   experimental and that the configuration options for this will change
>   in the next release)
>
> There is also the usual collection of bug fixes, new features and
> performance improvements. For full details, see the changelog:
> http://svn.us.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/webapps/docs/changelog.xml
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.14/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1022/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_14/
>
> The proposed 8.0.14 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.14

Unit tests pass for BIO, NIO, NIO2 and APR on 64-bit Windows, Linux and OSX.

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.14 release is now available for voting.
>
> The main changes since 8.0.12 are:
> - Windows service runner, Windows service manager and Windows installer
>   are digitally signed with the new ASF code signing service
> - Implement Java WebSocket 1.1
> - Improvements to start times by reducing overhead of annotation
>   scanning
> - Optional RFC6265 compliant cookie parser (Note that this is
>   experimental and that the configuration options for this will change
>   in the next release)
>
> There is also the usual collection of bug fixes, new features and
> performance improvements. For full details, see the changelog:
> http://svn.us.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/trunk/webapps/docs/changelog.xml
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.14/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1022/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tc8.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_14/
>
> The proposed 8.0.14 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release

 [x] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.14

Testsuite - all OK (Nio, Bio, Nio2, Apr).
Smoke testing - OK.
All - on Windows 7 with JDK 7u67.

One small issue:
I installed exe installer with all options except Host Manager being
enabled and rebooted. Then I logged in as the user who performed the
install.

The Tomcat service was up and running, as expected.
I expected the Monitor application (tray icon) to be running as well,
but it was not running and not present in list of started applications
in Task Manager.

The registry key that should have caused this application to start
(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run) is
present and OK.  I have not noticed anything relevant in Windows Event
Log or in Tomcat logs.

If I start this application manually, I get UAC prompt to allow it to
run as Administrator.  So it might be that Windows 7 does not allow
this application to auto-start.

It is not a regression.
It may be time to remove this auto-starting feature for Monitor
application from the installer, unless someone knows a better
solution.

Signatures displayed by installer and by Monitor application are OK
(CodeSigning for The Apache Software Foundation)

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.14

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 5:07 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> The proposed 8.0.14 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ X ] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.14

Looks good to me. Mostly NIO tested on home-brewed app.

Yoav

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.14

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 25/09/2014 14:29, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
>> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.14
>
>> On 9/24/14 5:07 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.14 release is now available for voting.
>
>> What happened to 8.0.13? I saw that tag for it, then ... ?
>
> As Mark stated in an earlier post, resigning requires unique version numbers.

For the record, the long version is:
- the Ant signing task worked on the test system
- it then failed on the live system when I tried to release 8.0.13 so I
had to do my testing of the fix on the live system
- the problem was that the live system required the files to have valid
file extensions whereas the test system did not
- my fix for this wasn't perfect and I took a couple of goes to get it right
- if it all went pear shaped before the signing happened, I could edit
the version number (to 8.0.13-dev-rnnnnnnn) and try signing 8.0.13 again
- it went wrong once after the signing (I forgot to update the download
path to point to the live system) and I simply could not (without some
serious hacking of build.xml that was not guaranteed to be repeatable)
complete the release and be sure that it was a) correct and b) repeatable
- since 8.0.13 has been signed I had to bump the version number for the
next attempt (which worked)

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Chuck,

On 9/25/14 9:29 AM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
>> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.14
>
>> On 9/24/14 5:07 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.14 release is now available for voting.
>
>> What happened to 8.0.13? I saw that tag for it, then ... ?
>
> As Mark stated in an earlier post, resigning requires unique version numbers.

Aah, I hadn't gotten to the posts about code-signing, yet.

Thanks,
-chris

RE: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.14

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.14

> On 9/24/14 5:07 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> > The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.14 release is now available for voting.

> What happened to 8.0.13? I saw that tag for it, then ... ?

As Mark stated in an earlier post, resigning requires unique version numbers.

 - Chuck

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.14

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mark,

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

> The proposed 8.0.14 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 8.0.14

Rémy