Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Peter Courcoux <pe...@courcoux.biz> on 2006/12/01 00:51:27 UTC

Re: Doc to promote turbine

Hi Thomas,

Personally I think t 2.4 is the better way to go. The pipeline is more
flexible and moving services from the main turbine source tree to
fulcrum is a step forward.

If you decide to go this route I will try to help answer any queries on
the mailing list. It is a long time since I made that transition, and I
really cannot remember how much of a problem it was, so I guess that it
couldn't have been too painful.

Regards,

Peter

Re: Doc to promote turbine

Posted by Peter Courcoux <pe...@courcoux.biz>.
Hi Thomas,

I am currently actively working with two turbine projects. One, uses
velocity for rendering and the only fulcrum services we use are the
security service with a lot of custom extensions and the Global Cache
Service. This is a large application with over 150 separate services,
and most are specific to the application.

For the other application I have thrown out Velocity and its associated
services. I use basically the pipeline (with custom valves), and a pure
java page layout component based on an xml document object. The
reasoning behind this is that I wanted to move to a purely xhtml 1.0
strict dtd for layouts and decided that any form of scripting was
inappropriate, far better to use an xml document object model, with a
library of xhtml 1.0 compliant tags. So far this has proved very
successful. I hope to propose this for addition to fulcrum in due
course. The result of this is that I am not using any of the fulcrum
services, and need to retain the velocity classes only until I get round
to making the error handler in Turbine.java pluggable. However, the fact
that I have been able to do this shows how good turbine is as a
framework when you need to develop custom processing models.

You will understand from this that I would love to see all the turbine
services migrated to fulcrum, leaving turbine itself as a much slimmed
down framework, with the ability to use the fulcrum components together
with components based on other component models.

For the last couple of years I have been thinking that when my next
contract runs out, I may have a couple of weeks to tidy things up. But
it never seems to work out like that :-)

I'm sorry that I cannot help by answering your question more fully.

Regards,

Peter

Re: Doc to promote turbine

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.