Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by stevep <st...@iii.com> on 2010/09/09 17:57:58 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_substitute memory problem

We are having a problem where a bad regex in mod_substitute goes into an
endless loop and keeps allocating more memory, until all of the memory
on the server is used up.  At that point, telnet is frozen, new telnet
sessions can not be created, and the only option is to reboot the
server.  Our setup is Red hat Linux 2.4.21-47.E running on top of VMWare.

Some of these "bad" regexes, have very subtle errors, we test them in
"regex buddy" before trying them out on the apache server, and still
create problem regexes.

Some of the problems are less subtle, the following (less subtle)
example keeps finding /css/ and replacing it in a loop forever.

     AddOutputFilterByType SUBSTITUTE text/html
     Substitute "s|href=\"/css/|href=\"/css/test2/|i"

We tried the RLimitMem directive, but it seems to have no effect on
mod_substitute.

Does anyone know a way to limit the amount of memory that mod_substitute
can allocate?