Posted to m2-dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org> on 2004/10/25 16:39:12 UTC

Possibility of removing OGNL as a core dep

Hi,

I've just finished a bunch of work to remove xstream and xpp3 from the
core of plexus and therefore m2. This was partly an attempt to reduce
the size of the distribution and to reduce the possibility of conflicts.
Currently the generated distribution is 600k.

The last potential problem I see is OGNL which is a popular library and
I would like to avoid any potential conflicts. For what I'm using it for
in maven-core I could replace with 50 lines of code.

John, I know that you are using OGNL as the default expression language
for marmalade but we could just make this a dependencies for that mode
of operation, yes?

If this is possible I would like to take a bit of code that Bob has
lying around and remove the use of OGNL in the core. This would mitigate
any potential conflicts and it would make the core dist 450k :-)

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

and sit softly on your shoulder ...

 -- Thoreau

Re: Possibility of removing OGNL as a core dep

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 16:51, Brett Porter wrote:
> While this all sounds reasonable, don't forget it is also possible to
> repackage JARs. I'm not sure how it is done exactly, but several
> products do it so that they can avoid conflicts.

For the 50 lines of code I could take from Bob I don't think it's really
worth it. Though I did  use that technique by absorbing the xpp3 parser
into plexus.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.