Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by kf...@collab.net on 2003/05/13 16:14:02 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 5912 - in trunk/subversion: clients/cmdline libsvn_subr libsvn_wc

So, now that that's done, my next question is:

Should svn_path_local_style() always convert the incoming UTF8 path to
native encoding?  I think that would be appropriate for all callers,
and it would smallify some code... Thoughts?

-K

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu> writes:
> Please leave the encoding and decoding separate.

Yessir.

> Oh, and there's another reason: svn_path_local_style needs to be called
> on all error message parameters that represent files or paths. But error
> message have to remain in UTF8 untill they meet the handler.

Ahhh -- right.

I hereby withdraw the suggestion, so quickly that you can hear the
soft *pfoomf* of air rushing in to fill the newly-created vacuum.

Re: svn commit: rev 5912 - in trunk/subversion: clients/cmdline libsvn_subr libsvn_wc

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:

>cmpilato@collab.net writes:
>

>>>Should svn_path_local_style() always convert the incoming UTF8 path to
>>>native encoding?  I think that would be appropriate for all callers,
>>>and it would smallify some code... Thoughts?
>>>

>>Does svn_path_internal_style() do the opposite conversion?  I think
>>there's benefit to trying to keep these two functions symmetrical.
>>

>Good point.  It doesn't right now, but it could.

It could, but it should not.

>  Every single caller
>of svn_path_internal_style() first converts the path from local
>encoding to UTF8

Not necessarily. I have Plans to finally fix issue #872 (which I
reopened because of Win9x problems and, more importantly, potential
svnserve problems). That will introduce new encoding types besides local
and UTF8 (namely, console input and console output).

cmpilato@collab.net writes:
> > Should svn_path_local_style() always convert the incoming UTF8 path to
> > native encoding?  I think that would be appropriate for all callers,
> > and it would smallify some code... Thoughts?
>
> Does svn_path_internal_style() do the opposite conversion?  I think
> there's benefit to trying to keep these two functions symmetrical.

Good point.  It doesn't right now, but it could.  Every single caller
of svn_path_internal_style() first converts the path from local
encoding to UTF8 (with the possible exception of one conditional

Posted by cm...@collab.net.