Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Troy Davis <tr...@metaphorstudio.com> on 2004/09/15 18:58:42 UTC

Using either realms or .htaccess on the same server? (Tomcat 5.5)

Hello,

I've got a legacy Tomcat 3 application running on a Tomcat 5.5 server
which has directories protected by .htaccess files, and it wants to
pull the username into form fields at various points using
request.getRemoteUser(). But this currently returns a null value.

I've looked this up on Google, found a couple references to modifying
server.xml's Connector like so:

<Connector port="8009"
	protocol="AJP/1.3"
	protocolHandlerClassName="org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler"
	redirectPort=" 8443"
	tomcatAuthentication="false">

But after adding the tomcatAuthentication parameter, I still get null
in those form fields. I also found a similar directive for the
jk2.properties file, but that didn't overcome the null issue either.
And I'm not in love the idea of disabling tomcat's authentication
methods globally, I'd rather be able to do that on a host or context
basis so I can support legacy apps like this one, as well as newer apps
that use realms instead.

Is there a way to choose between realms or .htaccess files for
different hosts in tomcat 5.5?

Thank You,
Troy
Troy Davis