Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net> on 2004/06/10 08:39:09 UTC

The never coming final release 1.0

Hi:

For more than a year, many of us were waiting for the OJB final 1.0. My
perception is that it is a non reacheable target. There is just another
stuff or change need to be done and each of them seems to be so important
that need to be included in the "final 1.0".

We have already 6 release candidates and seems none of them was good
enough to be a final 1.0 release. I don't think so.

I am writing no because someone is pushing my back telling me that I need
to have a final 1.0 release in my hands. But because I see a problem:

The never released final 1.0 is freezing further OJB development. I often
see comments like: "This feature need to wait after 1.0 is release..."

I think it is time to seriously consider making a 1.0 release and stop
freezeing futher development. As I often hear: "Sometimes less is better".

I hope nobody will take this post as a personal rant. I really appreciate
the OJB community and the effort that the development team is doing.
Please take this message in the best sense you can. And think about that.
;-)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

Re: The never coming final release 1.0

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

maybe it's better to freeze the work, summarize all major problems in
the release-notes file and release the 1.0 as soon as possible.
Hope people don't bashing OJB because it's not perfect in 1.0 ;-)

regards,
Atmin

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
Antonio,

Posted by Jakob Braeuchi <jb...@gmx.ch>.
hi antonio,

i completely agree !

jakob

Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> Hi:
>
> For more than a year, many of us were waiting for the OJB final 1.0. My
> perception is that it is a non reacheable target. There is just another
> stuff or change need to be done and each of them seems to be so important
> that need to be included in the "final 1.0".
>
> We have already 6 release candidates and seems none of them was good
> enough to be a final 1.0 release. I don't think so.
>
> I am writing no because someone is pushing my back telling me that I need
> to have a final 1.0 release in my hands. But because I see a problem:
>
> The never released final 1.0 is freezing further OJB development. I often
> see comments like: "This feature need to wait after 1.0 is release..."
>
> I think it is time to seriously consider making a 1.0 release and stop
> freezeing futher development. As I often hear: "Sometimes less is better".
>
> I hope nobody will take this post as a personal rant. I really appreciate
> the OJB community and the effort that the development team is doing.
> Please take this message in the best sense you can. And think about that.
> ;-)
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Antonio Gallardo.

RE: The never coming final release 1.0

Posted by ma...@impart.ch.
Hi Antonio
you are talking out of my hard. It is time to have a final releas 1.0

one of the risk of iterative development is to come never out with
a final produkt or a final releas. It seams that we are running in this
problem.

The OJB Team make a very goog job. And I am very thankfull for this greate
work.
We use OJB in very big and criticall systems now (z/OS, Linux on DB2, Oracle,
Webspher, Weblogic)
. OJB is very helpfull and stable the only problem are the versions RCxy.
It
is difficult to communicate this to the management or costumer.

It is time to have a final version 1.0 !!!!  :-)

regards
Matthias