Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Beth Friedmann <fr...@optonline.net> on 2007/02/18 18:36:42 UTC

the never ending class path problem

I am hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. I downloaded the
demo for lucene, 2.1.0.  I have put the core and demos jars in my class
path and have confirmed they exist with a set command.

My directory structure is:

c:\documents and users\owner\workspace\lucene
demo\src\demo\org\apache\lucene\demo

The java files including IndexFiles and IndexHTML reside there.

I am a windows user and clearly a very very new newbie, so help is
appreciated.

I choose start, run, cmd.
When I set the class path I typed:

set classpath=c:\documents and users\owner\workspace\lucene
demo\lucene-core-2.1.0.jar;c:\documents and users\owner\workspace\lucene
demo\lucene-demos-2.1.0.jar

This is as I said above what returns when I type set.

Then I type: java org.apache.lucene.demo.Indexfiles docs

get a no classdef Found

I also tried java org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML -create --index
{index-dir} ..

Suggestions are welcome. Please make sure to include what directory I
should be in when I type the commands

Thank you,
Beth Friedmann

Re: the never ending class path problem

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
So, which class wasn't found? Indexfiles? And should that be IndexFiles?

But check again that the path to the jars is exactly correct. I can't tell
you how many times I've made a typo in something like that...... Often I
resort to making a command file, and cut-n-paste from Windows Explorer
address bar just to be sure, then cut-n-pasting things into an editor to
force myself to do a character-by-character comparison.....

One final note, it's useful to cut-n-paste the errors, since if you re-type
things, you can, say, capitalize incorrectly and not get much useful
back......

Erick