Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Igor Borovkov <ig...@borovkov.com> on 2006/11/03 21:08:16 UTC

Re[2]: Communication with a standalone java program from servlets (embedded tomcat). RMI?

> I don't know of anything that requires you to embed Tomcat in your app. They
> should be able to communicate just find as separate entities. You could also

Thanks for your reply.

We thought about embedding tomcat (to startup it from the java program) to
simplify whole application and improve its portability, cause it is more
convient for us and our system to have all logic both of the java program and
the servlets in one place.
But perhaps it is not really good idea.

RE: Re[2]: Communication with a standalone java program from servlets (embedded tomcat). RMI?

Posted by Robert Harper <ro...@iat-cti.com>.
The big thing is scalability. If you leave them separate, you can put Tomcat
in one system and have your app running in another. This will help with
it loosely coupled where only the interface is known. As long as the
interface is not changed, you don't have to worry about changes in one
affecting the other.

Robert S. Harper
Information Access Technology, Inc.