Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com> on 2004/01/09 02:15:45 UTC

Antlr 2.7.2 a bit fat file.

Hi:

I recently updated OJB from the CVS. The new antlr 2.7.2 file is near 5
times bigger than the old 2.7.1 file! Then I wonder how is this posible?

Looking inside the new 2.7.2 file we can see some C and C# stuff inside.
My question is:

For OJB purpose, did we need C or C# stuff at all?
Can we get this fat out of the antlr used in OJB?

Note: Since this file is needed at runtime I think people will welcome a
smaller antlr file.

What do you think?

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Antlr 2.7.2 a bit fat file.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Thomas Mahler dijo:
> Hi ANtonio,
>
> There were time when OJB fit on one 1,4 MB diskette! In those times I
> was very strict with adding large jar files.
> But these times are gone. Our src distro is more than 7 MB.
>
> I agree that the antlr package is a bit fatty. But it's the official
> version... And it's now much easier to use: only one jar file and not
> three for different purposes!
>
> I think it's not a good idea to start deleting things from external jars
> that we don't need.
> There is a lot of stuff in the j2ee.jar that is not needed for our
> purpose....

Yep. The jee.jar is really a BIG FAT jar! lol. ;)

> So I recommend to simply keep the jar untouched.

OK.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: Antlr 2.7.2 a bit fat file.

Posted by Thomas Mahler <th...@web.de>.
Hi ANtonio,

There were time when OJB fit on one 1,4 MB diskette! In those times I
was very strict with adding large jar files.
But these times are gone. Our src distro is more than 7 MB.

I agree that the antlr package is a bit fatty. But it's the official
version... And it's now much easier to use: only one jar file and not
three for different purposes!

I think it's not a good idea to start deleting things from external jars
that we don't need.
There is a lot of stuff in the j2ee.jar that is not needed for our
purpose....

So I recommend to simply keep the jar untouched.

cu,
Thomas