Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Peder Jakobsen | gmail <pj...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/31 18:32:53 UTC

MS Windows: Hadoop binaries required to run drill?

Hi, does hadoop have to be installed in order to run apache drill on
windows?

So far, I'm 3 hours into "Run Apache Drill in 10 Minutes", and still no
luck.  Once I figure it out, I will update the documentation for windows if
you like.

Thanks,

Peder J.

Re: MS Windows: Hadoop binaries required to run drill?

Posted by Kristine Hahn <kh...@maprtech.com>.
oops, sorry, I now see you prefaced the FROM with cp. Forget that.

Kristine Hahn
Sr. Technical Writer
415-497-8107 @krishahn skype:krishahn

Posted by Kristine Hahn <kh...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Peder Jakobsen | gmail <pj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques, Jason, etc.

Problems on windows all resolves.  Drill runs like a dream.  Gotcha was due
to documentation that implies Drill can run on 32bit Windows, which is not
possible.

Suggest compiling winutils.exe as 32bit, although this a completely
uneducated stab at what seems to a win win.  If not, I will update
documentation to reflect this reality, and issue a pull request.

I have never used Jira, but I will try to make a ticket there first.

Thank you again for all your help. It's encouraging to see such a strong
community around this fantastic tool.

Peder :)

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@dremio.com>.
Indeed. Happy new year

Posted by Peder Jakobsen | gmail <pj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peder Jakobsen | gmail <pj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques, yes when I copy all these files over manually from my Linux
machine, everything works as expected on Windows 7 32bit.  ODBC drivers and
Drill explorer also work fine.

So what do you think is causing some of these files not to be written on
startup?   I have permission on all folders.

For  I/O operations in Drill at startup, ideally they'd be performed in a
try catch block of some sort so that the program can exit gracefully with
the appropriate feedback to the user, no?

Let me know if I can be of further help in tracking down this problem.

Peder J.

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@dremio.com>.

Posted by Peder Jakobsen | gmail <pj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason Altekruse <al...@gmail.com>.
Thank you for your extra effort working through this! We are always welcome
to new contributors, feel free to open a JIRA and a pull request with your
fixes.

Welcome to the Drill community!

- Jason

On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 4:34 PM, Peder Jakobsen | gmail <pjakobsen@gmail.com

Posted by Peder Jakobsen | gmail <pj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peder Jakobsen | gmail <pj...@gmail.com>.
No.  I've tried this many times.

Posted by Nathan Griffith <ng...@dremio.com>.

Posted by Peder Jakobsen | gmail <pj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peder Jakobsen | gmail <pj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Griffith <ng...@dremio.com>.
Hey Peder,

Posted by Peder Jakobsen | gmail <pj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Tomer and Jacques,

Posted by Jacques Nadeau <ja...@dremio.com>.

Posted by Tomer Shiran <ts...@dremio.com>.

Posted by Peder Jakobsen | gmail <pj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ted.

I'm running Windows 7, 32 bit version, and Java SDK 1.7.0

I installed Apache drill according to instructions here:

https://drill.apache.org/docs/installing-drill-on-windows/

I adjusted there instructions a bit according to Tomer's suggestions.

I start drill according to:

https://drill.apache.org/docs/starting-drill-on-windows/

Here's the command and stack trace:

C:\devel\apache-drill-1.4.0\bin>sqlline.bat -u "jdbc:drill:zk=local"
DRILL_ARGS - " -u jdbc:drill:zk=local"
HADOOP_HOME not detected...
HBASE_HOME not detected...
Calculating Drill classpath...
Error: Failure in starting embedded Drillbit: java.lang.RuntimeException:
Unable to deserialize "/tmp/drill/sys.storage_plugins/hive.sys.drill"
(state=,code=0)
java.sql.SQLException: Failure in starting embedded Drillbit:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to deserialize
"/tmp/drill/sys.storage_plugins/hive.sys.drill"
        at
org.apache.drill.jdbc.impl.DrillConnectionImpl.<init>(DrillConnectionImpl.java:127)
        at
org.apache.drill.jdbc.impl.DrillJdbc41Factory.newDrillConnection(DrillJdbc41Factory.java:64)
        at
org.apache.drill.jdbc.impl.DrillFactory.newConnection(DrillFactory.java:69)
        at
net.hydromatic.avatica.UnregisteredDriver.connect(UnregisteredDriver.java:126)
        at org.apache.drill.jdbc.Driver.connect(Driver.java:72)
        at sqlline.DatabaseConnection.connect(DatabaseConnection.java:167)
        at
sqlline.DatabaseConnection.getConnection(DatabaseConnection.java:213)
        at sqlline.Commands.connect(Commands.java:1083)
        at sqlline.Commands.connect(Commands.java:1015)
        at
        at
        at
sqlline.ReflectiveCommandHandler.execute(ReflectiveCommandHandler.java:36)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.dispatch(SqlLine.java:742)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.initArgs(SqlLine.java:528)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.begin(SqlLine.java:596)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.start(SqlLine.java:375)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.main(SqlLine.java:268)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to deserialize
"/tmp/drill/sys.storage_plugins/hive.sys.drill"
        at
org.apache.drill.exec.store.sys.local.FilePStore.get(FilePStore.java:140)
        at
org.apache.drill.exec.store.sys.local.FilePStore$Iter$DeferredEntry.getValue(FilePStore.java:219)
        at
org.apache.drill.exec.store.StoragePluginRegistry.createPlugins(StoragePluginRegistry.java:197)
        at
org.apache.drill.exec.store.StoragePluginRegistry.init(StoragePluginRegistry.java:161)
        at org.apache.drill.exec.server.Drillbit.run(Drillbit.java:213)
        at
org.apache.drill.jdbc.impl.DrillConnectionImpl.<init>(DrillConnectionImpl.java:118)
        ... 18 more
Caused by: com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.JsonMappingException: No content
to map due to end-of-input
 at [Source: [B@6d9696; line: 1, column: 1]
        at
com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.JsonMappingException.from(JsonMappingException.java:148)
        at
com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.ObjectReader._initForReading(ObjectReader.java:1351)
        at
com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.ObjectReader._bindAndClose(ObjectReader.java:1252)
        at
com.fasterxml.jackson.databind.ObjectReader.readValue(ObjectReader.java:912)
        at
org.apache.drill.exec.store.sys.serialize.JacksonSerializer.deserialize(JacksonSerializer.java:44)
        at
org.apache.drill.exec.store.sys.local.FilePStore.get(FilePStore.java:138)
        ... 23 more
apache drill 1.4.0
"the only truly happy people are children, the creative minority and drill
users"
0: jdbc:drill:zk=local>

*SAME ERROR OCCURS ON SHUTDOWN*

0: jdbc:drill:zk=local> !quit