Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dave <mo...@insensible.net> on 2005/04/10 20:30:27 UTC

False Positives

Hi, I just recently upgraded to version 3.0.2 and now appear to be
receiving quite a few false positives where my previous installation of
2.6.4 didn't have this problem. I am also having a problem getting the rest
results to display within the headers so I can determine what tests are
being hit in these false positives. A clear example of the false positives
are as follows:

Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 14:23:43 -0400
To: anotheraddy@insensible.net
From: Dave <mo...@insensible.net>
Subject: [SPAM] this is a test
testing the new SA system, lemme know how it looks.

This was a plain text email and was caught with 5.3 points, but it doesn't
show me what the points were from. Here is a copy of my cf.

required_hits 5.0
rewrite_header Subject [SPAM]
dns_available yes
fold_headers 1
use_terse_report 1
report_safe 0
add_header all Status _YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_
tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_ autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_ version=_VERSION_

use_dcc 1
use_pyzor 1
use_razor2 1

use_bayes 1
bayes_path /etc/mail/spamassassin/bayes
bayes_auto_learn 1
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam 0.1
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam 7.0
bayes_learn_during_report 1
bayes_min_ham_num 250
bayes_min_spam_num 250

ok_languages            en
ok_locales              en
rbl_timeout 3

score RCVD_IN_BL_SPAMCOP_NET    3
score HTML_FONT_INVISIBLE       3.5
score HTML_90_100               3.5
score HTML_WEB_BUGS             2.0
score HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_04        3.5
score USER_IN_WHITELIST_TO      -50
score SUBJECT_DRUG_GAP_C        3.5
score SUBJECT_DRUG_GAP_L        3.5
score SUBJECT_DRUG_GAP_VIA      3.5
score VIA_GAP_GRA               3.5

score BAYES_00 0 0 -4.901 -4.900
score BAYES_05 0 0 -0.925 -2.599
score BAYES_20 0 0 -0.730 -1.951
score BAYES_40 0 0 -0.276 -1.096
score BAYES_50 0 0  1.567  0.001
score BAYES_60 0 0  3.515  1.592
score BAYES_80 0 0  3.608  2.087
score BAYES_95 0 0  3.514  3.514
score BAYES_99 0 0  4.070  5.400

# Whitelist stuffs
use_auto_whitelist 1
auto_whitelist_factor 0.5

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Re: False Positives

Posted by David Earp <mo...@insensible.net>.
> How are you calling spamassassin? Are you calling it from procmail, or
> are you using something like amavis?

I didn't even think about how it was being called. After I read this I
realized that its most likely my qmail-scanner causing it as it rewrites
the header itself.

I've removed the fast_spamassassin option and now the I have a modified
but functioning X-Spam-Status which shows the tests, autolearn and
version output. Thanks for the help, now I can begin debugging the false
positive issue.

Re: False Positives

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
David Earp wrote:

>>Try this add_header command instead. Note carefully the addition of
>>quotation marks.
>>
>>add_header all Status "_YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_
>>tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_ autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_ version=_VERSION_"
>>

>Added the quotes, no difference. I should note that my add_header is all
>on one line.

Yeah, the line wrap is a side effect of RFC requirements for mail. Mine
was written as one line, but Thunderbird wrapped it automatically.

Question:

Re: False Positives

Posted by David Earp <mo...@insensible.net>.
> Try this add_header command instead. Note carefully the addition of
> quotation marks.
>
> add_header all Status "_YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_
> tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_ autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_ version=_VERSION_"

Added the quotes, no difference. I should note that my add_header is all
on one line.

> I assume your intent was to replace TESTS with TESTSSCORES.

Yes, I changed it to TESTSSCORES shortly after sending my original
email.

> Alternatively, just comment out the add_header command for now, and work
> with the defaults until you've got your problems sorted.

Tried both commented and uncommented, neither spam nor ham messages show
more than the YESNO SCORE and REQD are shown.

> Also, run spamassassin --lint and fix the errors.

I ran this and made sure it returned clear before completing all of my
initial tests and emailing the list.

> Right off the bat I can spot that use_terse_report has been deprecated
> since 2.60, and is now an error in 3.x

Oops, forgot about that one, removed it, no change.

Re: False Positives

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Dave wrote:

> Hi, I just recently upgraded to version 3.0.2 and now appear to be
> receiving quite a few false positives where my previous installation
> of 2.6.4 didn't have this problem. I am also having a problem getting
> the rest results to display within the headers so I can determine what
> tests are being hit in these false positives. A clear example of the
> false positives are as follows:

<snip>

You missed the important part of your example... without a list of hits,
nobody will be able to give you any advice on a FP or a FN.

Really, that *should* be in your X-Spam-Status header, but your modified
status header doesn't seem to include this vital information. It appears
that in your add_header command you forgot to put quotes in, and
spamassassin is barfing on the (,).

Try this add_header command instead. Note carefully the addition of
quotation marks.

add_header all Status "_YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_
tests=_TESTSSCORES(,)_ autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_ version=_VERSION_"

This is more in-line with the defaults, which look like this:
add_header all Status "_YESNO_, score=_SCORE_ required=_REQD_
tests=_TESTS_ autolearn=_AUTOLEARN_ version=_VERSION_"