Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Andrei Svirida <an...@midray.com> on 2002/06/17 09:48:35 UTC

Problem with CLASSPATH when deploying multiple applications

Hello cocoon users,

I have a question regarding deployment of cocoon applications.
Our company currently evaluates Cocoon as a platform for web
applications.
Its important for us to be able to share the same cocoon installation
for several applications which are being developed and deployed by
developers which dont have the right to write to the <Cocoon
Installation>/WEB-INF/lib directory.

E.g. , i have my Cocoon installation in /usr/tomcat/webapps/cocoon
and i have my Cocoon applications in /usr/cocoon-apps/app1,
/usr/cocoon-apps/app2 etc.

Developer 1 has writing rights to /usr/cocoon-apps/app1 but not to
/usr/tomcat/webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/lib.
Therefore he must be able deploy his JARs needed
for his application somewhere in the /usr/cocoon-apps/app1-Tree.

Is it possible to make cocoon look for the JARs e.g. in the
/usr/cocoon-apps/app1/lib directory ?

I would greatly appreciate any tip.

--
Andrei Svirida

RE: Problem with CLASSPATH when deploying multiple applications

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
> From: Andrei Svirida [mailto:andrei.svirida@midray.com]
>
> Hello cocoon users,
>
> I have a question regarding deployment of cocoon applications.
> Our company currently evaluates Cocoon as a platform for web
> applications.
> Its important for us to be able to share the same cocoon installation
> for several applications which are being developed and deployed by
> developers which dont have the right to write to the <Cocoon
> Installation>/WEB-INF/lib directory.

More correct would be <Cocoon Deployment>/WEB-INF/lib.

> E.g. , i have my Cocoon installation in /usr/tomcat/webapps/cocoon
> and i have my Cocoon applications in /usr/cocoon-apps/app1,
> /usr/cocoon-apps/app2 etc.
>
> Developer 1 has writing rights to /usr/cocoon-apps/app1 but not to
> /usr/tomcat/webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/lib.
> Therefore he must be able deploy his JARs needed
> for his application somewhere in the /usr/cocoon-apps/app1-Tree.
>
> Is it possible to make cocoon look for the JARs e.g. in the
> /usr/cocoon-apps/app1/lib directory ?

The only option is to edit web.xml and set extra-classpath parameter to
point to your JARs.

Other option could be to have not one but many web applications with
extra-classpath parameter pointing to the one copy of Cocoon libraries.

Vadim