Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Mayur Baldha <ma...@datamatics.com> on 2018/07/30 09:26:34 UTC

Queries regarding CouchDB

Dear CouchDB Devs,

We are developing the Smart Maintenance Solution (SMS) which we are planning to develop using CouchDB.

Here is brief about what we are trying to achieve….
We are developing mobile based maintenance system which can be used by any transit, healthcare or other domain to shorten issue resolution time and increase productivity.
System will have following user role :
·         On Field staff
·         Admin
·         Workers

Consider a case of Transit metro system, if there is any damage or fault in metro vehicle, tracks, engine etc, then On field staff should be able to report an issue in SMS system by entering form and capturing image/video.
Admin should see reported issues and assign them to Workers.
Worker should visit the field and resolve the issue and updated issue status.

We are very new to CouchDB + NoSQL and have major expertise in the SQL Database.

Now the queries here…..
1.       Can we use CouchDB for such kind of solution. (probably Yes, we feel so)
2.       For SQL DB, we can create a single DB with User, Issues tables. How can we do the similar activity in CouchDB?
Do we need to create separate DB for each user? Please explain?
3.    If we create single Database for all users, then how can we validate logged in user credentials? and how to protect user specific documents?

Appraise if you can reply to above queries.

Regards,

Mayur Baldha
Consultant | TES
Datamatics Global Services Limited
www.datamatics.com <http://www.datamatics.com/>

Re: Queries regarding CouchDB

Posted by Bill Stephenson <bi...@cherrypc.com.INVALID>.
Hi Mayur,

You’ll want to look into creating a “_users” DB to manage users and assigning “roles” to them.

Then look into creating a database and setting the “Permission” on that database for users (“admins" and "members”) and “roles” for users of that specific database.

Then look into creating “Design Documents” that contain rules for what users with different “roles” can do with what documents in that database.

http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/intro/security.html?highlight=_users

Once you get the hang of it you have a pretty fine grained control.

Kindest Regards,

Bill Stephenson
Tech Support
www.ezInvoice.com <http://www.ezinvoice.com/>