Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Stewart Alexander <st...@alamancecc.edu> on 2020/03/04 14:54:23 UTC

Re[2]: Using 2 factor authentication with Active Directory

Hi all,

Can you tell us more about TOTP and the MS Authenticator App? Sounds
intriguing ..

What's the process for integrating this into Guacamole, can someone
point us to some documentation?

But yeah, 2 factor authentication would be very nice

Posted by Andrew Kopp <AK...@soleilfoodservice.com>.
Hi Stewart,

The MS Authenticator app supports basic TOTP protocol. All you need to do is enable TOTP (not Duo) on guacamole. During the first login of the user, it will ask you to setup the TOTP and display a QR code. In the MS Authenticator app, open top right menu, add new account and select "Other account". Scan the QR code and you are done. This method is not true Azure MFA however. No wonderful Microsoft Azure policies, etc.

Some issues I've noticed - I have many guacamole installs and I've had to rename the guacadmin username specific to each install. It seems the MS authentication app uses the username as the key, so if you use the same username over multiple installs it will overwrite the existing account and locking you out of the previous instance.  I haven't even tested this with Google Authenticator so your mileage may vary.

The other issue, which is much bigger to me, (discovered via the above problem 🙂 ) is the lack of TOTP reset function in the web based panel in the event the user looses their phone or deletes the Authenticator app. Basically, you need to manually delete the TOTP keys in the db, so I just re-create the users as of now. Bit of a pain, but it works.

Also, TOTP will not work with LDAP/AD. It needs to be able to write back the TOTP keys to the directory - which isn't implemented with AD yet (or will? I suggest like how ownCloud does this and store them in the local db even with AD auth)

Andrew

E stewart.alexander@alamancecc.edu<ma...@alamancecc.edu>
P: +1 (336) 506-4181

"Chi poco pensa, molto erra."- Leonardo Di Vinci
(Those who think little err often)

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please disregard. This message may contain confidential information and is intended only for the individual named.