Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2003/11/26 11:48:24 UTC

[VOTE] Incubate Apache Ruper (was about Repo)

Since the "repo" moniker has a bad connotation to some, given that this
is meant to be an implamantation of the repository effort, and since
Rupert is too common in google, I change the proposed name to Ruper (for
what it's worth).

Others have asked to be able to help, so the committers would probably
be more than the prospected ones.

Till now we have (except Roy's -1 about the name):

  dims +1
  noel +1

Other votes? Are all PMC members on the general list?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

[VOTE:RESULT] Incubate Apache Ruper (was about Repo)

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
There have counted at least 5 +1s (not counting mine that is ;-)

Therefore I will start the official incubation of Apache Ruper.

This will be the roadmap:

1 - add a status file in the incubator CVS under:
       incubator/site/projects/ruper.cwiki
    that will be published here:
       http://incubator.apache.org/site/projects/ruper.html

2 - add the project to the projects page here:
       incubator/site/projects/index.xml
     that is published here:
       http://incubator.apache.org/site/projects/index.html

3 - follow the items on that list one by one

I have read on this list that there is a will of the Avalon team to
collaborate on this. Well, there is also a will of the Ruper developers
to collaborate too :-)

As soon as the mailing lists are set up and the initial ruper codebases
are in CVS, we can start discussing about it and see what can be done to
migrate Avalon repository stuff to Ruper. Ruper already has two layers,
Version and Ruper proper (we can call it depot as suggested). We can add
a third layer on top for Components. In any case, we'll see later.

Thus I encourage all that are interested in following the advancement of
the incubation of Ruper in greater detail, to sign up to the CVS diffs
of the incubator site to be notified of changes in the incubation status
of Ruper.

    cvs-subscribe@incubator.apache.org

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [VOTE] Incubate Apache Ruper (was about Repo)

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com>.
On Nov 26, 2003, at 5:48 AM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Since the "repo" moniker has a bad connotation to some, given that
> this is meant to be an implamantation of the repository effort, and
> since Rupert is too common in google, I change the proposed name to
> Ruper (for what it's worth).
>
> Others have asked to be able to help, so the committers would probably
> be more than the prospected ones.
>
> Till now we have (except Roy's -1 about the name):
>
>  dims +1
>  noel +1

Jim +1

Re: [VOTE] Incubate Apache Ruper (was about Repo)

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Other votes?

+1, generally agreeing with all other comments made so far.

- Leo

RE: Wonka

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > > (Still curious about project Wonka)
> >
> >  http://wonka.acunia.com
> >
> > Open Source JVM under what should be an ASL compatible license.

> Holy shit! That's awesome!

:-)  I thought so.  I've been following it for a while, since it is
embeddable.  But it isn't JRockIt.

I would not object to either or both of those JVMs becoming ASF projects.

	--- Noel

Re: Wonka

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 07:57, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > (Still curious about project Wonka)
>
>   http://wonka.acunia.com
>
> Open Source JVM under what should be an ASL compatible license.

Holy shit! That's awesome!

> 	--- Noel

jvz.

Jason van Zyl