Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Chris Janicki <Ja...@ia-inc.com> on 2000/02/23 23:16:16 UTC

WAR definition

Rookie question... what is a "WAR"?  (I've probably been dealing with it
without even knowing.)  I've looked through the Jakarta/Tomcat on-line
docs and even the glossary, but can't find any info.  Will I find out
more about it in the JSP specification from Sun?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: WAR definition

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cm...@mytownnet.com>.
Chris Janicki wrote:

> Rookie question... what is a "WAR"?  (I've probably been dealing with it
> without even knowing.)  I've looked through the Jakarta/Tomcat on-line
> docs and even the glossary, but can't find any info.  Will I find out
> more about it in the JSP specification from Sun?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

WAR == Web ARchive file.  It's essentially a JAR file with the contents
organized in a standard way to represent a deployable web application.
You'll find out about it in the Servlet 2.2 spec, rather than the JSP spec.

Craig McClanahan