Posted to user@poi.apache.org by ex...@di-ve.com on 2004/04/08 08:40:20 UTC

XML import for Excel 2003

Hi

I think this is a bit too far fetched for the time being, but I'll give it
a try just the same. In excel 2003 it is possible to import an XML file
into excel, having an XML map which maps the xml tags to certain columns.

With COM this is done the following way:

ActiveWorkbook.XmlMaps("Contact_Map").Import URL:= _
        "C:\XML Testing\ContactData.xml"

Is there a way how to do it with POI? Or at least in any other way without
using COM ?

Thanks!
Edward

RE: XML import for Excel 2003

Posted by Michael Zalewski <za...@optonline.net>.
POI does not understand Excel 2003 XML Maps or tags. It's a new feature in
Excel 2003.

But you could use POI in combination with some XML parser such as SAX or
JAXP. Pass the XML document through SAX, then use POI to populate the
workbook. POI provides no direct support for this.