Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/13 22:20:08 UTC

About latency computation

Hello,
I think we should fix our computing of latency property.

AFAIU when I look at HTTPHC4Impl:

   - sampleStart : there is some processing that occurs after it is called:
      - There is some work related to caching
      - HTTPCLIENT PreProcessors are processed
   - latencyEnd is called too late I think:
      - It is called after Response Header have been processed
      - It is called after N bytes have been read, not the 1st byte

I would propose the following changes:

   - sampleStart : Create a RequestInterceptor that computes sampleStart
   - latencyEnd : Call it in
   MeasuringConnectionManager#receiveResponseHeader although it is still not
   the best place

I think we need to ask HttpCore/Client project to either compute those and
put it in HttpConnectionMetrics or add some hooks so that we can do it.

Thoughts ?
Thanks
Regards
Philippe M.

Re: About latency computation

Posted by Steven Swor <sw...@gmail.com>.
>>> I think we need to ask HttpCore/Client project to either compute those
>>> and put it in HttpConnectionMetrics or add some hooks so that we can do
it.

I like the idea of HttpCore/Client computing the metrics for us. Mostly
because it means anyone who uses the library will also have access to those
metrics.

> If it's not possible (yet) to be distinguish between time to 1st byte
> and time to first chunk then just document what the figure represents.

Agreed.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Seems reasonable.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.