Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com> on 2020/09/11 11:56:42 UTC

[Airflow 2.0] State of the HA Scheduler - AIP-15 and Astronomer/Community plans?

I started to feel that we need to clarify statements about the HA Scheduler
for our community. Not that I am losing sleep regularly over this but it
did keep me away last night when I started to think about it :).

I have a feeling that while we already defined some - rather aggressive -
timelines for 2.0, the subject of HA Scheduler was not touched in the
previous Airflow 2.0 meetings. We are not very far from the release but the
HA scheduler is implemented inside Astronomer and we have not seen any code
for it yet in the community. I understand that a lot of work (not only
development but especially testing) has been put into it from the
Astronomer team internally.

I am actually quite OK with that to be like that. I think Astronomer is a
super-valuable member of the community and I have no doubts Ash and Kaxil
and Daniel and others will do an awesome job with it. I am simply afraid
that when we see it, some of the cases that we see as needed by the
community will require more work. This will either delay the 2.0 release or
we will have to drop it from the 2.0 release. Looking at the number of
discussions we had with - much simpler IMHO - Smart Sensors, I have the
feeling that HA scheduler will spark even more discussions. The AIP-15
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/AIP-15+Scalable+Scheduler>
was
not very rich in detail and the last time it has been updated was March
2019 (!) and I have no doubt a big number of design decisions,
observations, learning has happened in Astronomer since.

And to be perfectly honest - I am ok with both of the scenarios I can see:

1) We release HA Scheduler in 2.0

For that, I think we should start looking at the code and discuss it
already quite some time ago IMHO. It might be too late if we want to fit
the aggressive timeline we have - especially that there are other things
the most active people are committing to for 2.0 and they might simply not
have enough time to make the quality review rounds and discussions. I think
we need to see it first to be even able to assess if we think we can make
it within the timeline.

2) We agree to release the HA Scheduler in 2.1 (or 2.2) and Astronomer will
use the HA Scheduler in their own service as a "commercial" add-on or
"advantage" of their offering.

In the meantime - between 2.0 and 2.1 Astronomer could donate the code and
we could make sure it is reviewed and merged in the way that answers the
needs of different community members. This has also numerous advantages to
the community - similar to the case of Smart Sensors, Astronomer can test
it in production then and solve all the teething problems of such a
service.

I cannot speak for the business models of Astronomer of course :), but it
seems to me like a nice advantage to have for a while, from the business
point of view. And as a community, we also benefit that we have such a
strong member of the community with a sustainable and good business model.
Without Astronomer's generous support, Ash, Kaxil, and Daniel especially
(but also others) - Airflow would not be where it is today. And I would be
100% happy with such an approach as a PMC and member of the community and I
support it a lot if Astronomer chooses this path.

I think, however, it's the highest time that we decide and clearly
communicate it to the users as a community. At least I have a feeling that
without the community members, committers, and some heavy users being
involved in the open, and having time for quality review and discussion,
releasing HA in 2.0 might be not possible. And to just reiterate - this has
nothing to do with the expected quality of the code and testing, but more
about potential differences in expectations, assumptions, understanding,
performance limitations, and anything else that might (and usually does)
come up.

I think - since we already started to publish the schedule, this is the
right time that we make a decision on that and align expectations.

Ry, Vikram - I'd love to hear what the intentions of Astronomer as a
company for the HA Scheduler are? I know as a group of committers we said
it a number of times that HA Scheduler will be in 2.0 so we built the
expectations among our users as a community. But maybe you really think
that pursuing scenario 2) (or maybe another scenario I have not thought
about) is the way to go for Astronomer?

As I wrote above - I am personally perfectly fine with either of the
scenarios, and I think they are both beneficial for the community, but I
think we should discuss it, align expectations, and clearly communicate as
the Apache Airflow community.

J.

--
Jarek Potiuk
Polidea | Principal Software Engineer

M: +48 660 796 129

Re: [Airflow 2.0] State of the HA Scheduler - AIP-15 and Astronomer/Community plans?

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
Actually :) the "Valid" link was marked as "Original AIP" in the doc I
linked :). I will fix it.

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>

Re: [Airflow 2.0] State of the HA Scheduler - AIP-15 and Astronomer/Community plans?

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>

Re: [Airflow 2.0] State of the HA Scheduler - AIP-15 and Astronomer/Community plans?

Posted by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com>.
Just a note here:

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
This is really great. It was never my intention to question
the viability of the HA scheduler for the 2.0 - if that was misunderstood -
true apologies.

I certainly appreciate the hard work done on it by the Astronomer team - I
just wanted to stress that - unlike most other features of Airflow, this
one is not yet out in the community to comment, discuss and iterate on and
I was really afraid that if someone raises big concerns about the
implementation (not because of quality of lack of tests or benchmarks, but
because others can have valid concerns about the architecture, side effect,
assumptions, it might simply be very little time to address those in the
usual way we approach them in the community.

It often happens that when more eyes look at the changes, we simply
strat realising that we should address something else.  I think if we want
to do everything humanly possible to make it into 2.0 - we should simply
start looking at it together with the community.

Once again I think I could be misunderstood, I was not complaining nor
calling for delaying nor doubting the possibility of implementing it by the
Astronomer team (with a lot of effort already put there). Simply - from
what I see so far - most of the big features like that when first proposed,
often cause a lot of discussion, hundreds of comments,  doubts and possibly
resulting changes when the broader community looks at it.

J.

Posted by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jarek and all,

Posted by Vikram Koka <vi...@astronomer.io>.
Jarek,

It has been our intention (as Astronomer) to release the Scheduler HA work
directly to open source as part of Airflow 2.0.

We realized early on that the Scheduler reliability and performance were
highlighted as the key issues from the community as part of the latest
survey results from last year. We therefore crafted the Scheduler HA AIP to
cover those areas explicitly and scalability in addition. We believe that
these are key for Airflow to continue to grow and therefore have been
committed from the get go to make these available as open source as quickly
as possible for the community.

Ash shared his preliminary benchmark numbers as part of the Airflow 2.0
summit, but had to step away after that because of paternity leave. Now
that he is back, we have begun merging back all his changes into master. We
intend to do everything humanly possible to get it into the 2.0 release
within the published timeline.

Best regards,
Vikram

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>

Re: [Airflow 2.0] State of the HA Scheduler - AIP-15 and Astronomer/Community plans?

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@apache.org>.
Hi Jarek, and all.